Re: Calcium decline with high PH & Alkalinity

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 2, 2007
      --- In ReefKeeping@yahoogroups.com, Rich <wd6esz@...> wrote:

      > And Jason never did answer my question about whether or not he had
      alot of coraline growth that might be consuming the Ca. At this point
      however, I think it is safe to assume he does not have much of
      anything growing in what sounds like a toxic swill of additives.

      > Rich

      ========================
      What I've done recently:
      ========================
      Did another 20% water change yesterday.

      Added antoher 20lbs of live sand to display tank, refugium has 4" sand
      bed already, now display tank has 3". I'll be adding another 20lbs later.

      Been adding two cap fulls of PurpleUP, 8 drops of Aragamilk daily and
      two teaspoons of 'Calcium +3' twice weekly. Today's calcium test is
      now up to 390 when it was at 225 when I started this thread.

      The Alk & PH tester from Red Sea varies alot from my other test kit
      from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. My PH and Alk are within normal levels
      now and probably were all along, I'm not liking the Red Sea tests.

      I have good purple, yellow and some light green coraline growth on all
      live rock in my tank. Everything shows signs of growth.

      I'm starting to think that maybe the ESV B-Ionic two part mix I have
      is bad, I recently purchased another set but wont be using it since
      the regiment I'm doing now works. If anyone is interested in the
      B-Ionic system I'll sell it, it's brand new and un-opened.

      -Jason
    • E. George Mucher III
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 7, 2007
        Well Bryan, I have to admit that I am kind of on Don's side here. Have you read all of the posts for this string? Don and I have both told him that he has some serious imbalance in his water chemistry, and that he needs to allow it to settle out rather than just keep pumping more chemicals into his tank. We told him very nicely from the start, and he just continued to ignore what we said and threw more chemicals into his tank (at doses that I doubt anyone on this list would think are appropriate). Then he started making comments towards Don that sounded to me like he was saying Don did not know what he was saying, and that not adding things was not going to get his calcium levels where he wanted them, rather than even listening to what was being said. I got frustrated with him too- and just said screw it, and have not replied since. But don't go hanging Don up to be a villain here, because while he may have gone a little overboard (I know I have in the past also), it was not uncalled for. And Jason's latest bard at Don was kind of out of the blue, after I thought this string was already dead.

        -Geo

        'Oi kau ka lâ, e hana i ola honua'

        "While the sun yet shines do all you can"

        On Mar 7, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Bryan Gifford wrote:

        Oh the Comedy...

        "I am more than willing to help those who truly seek out answers, not pander to myopic cretins who wallow in their own sty of self indulged and self impose stupor of darkness..."

        Don, all you are willing to do is preach to the choir.  If someone does not run their system just like you you break out great insulting phrases like "SON" "Trilobite" "Liberal" and on and on...

        There are more than 2 ways to skin a cat, and with reef aquariums, there is no correct way to run them.

        *back to my projects*

        --Bryan

        On 3/7/07, Donald Plisco <dplisco@cox.net> wrote:

        Be quiet and quit sounding like a mocked adolescent...

        The idea of this list is to provide information concerning our hobby, and to be a public forum for the desemination, examination and discussion of that new thought.
        It is not a staging ground for an exhibition of buffoons who refuse to take even the first step toward the capitalization of that information.  If you cannot succumb to the most minute realization of that, then find you some other group to irritate with your troglodyte antics.
        I am more than willing to help those who truly seek out answers, not pander to myopic cretins who wallow in their own sty of self indulged and self impose stupor of darkness...
        Go find some plant to munch on or leave a trail of mucous on some sidewalk and leave your betters alone. I've no time for your nonsense.

        Don