Re: [ReedOrganRestoration] Black (Bellows Cloth?) cover on Pallets

  • Luther Melby
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2011
      I have seen pallet gaskets made with rubber cloth and flap valves too, They seem to work OK, but had to be a low cost way of doing it. There was no sign of having been done later than the time of manufacture.
      Luther

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
        I have witnessed the same on a "Windsor, Chicago" (Montgomery Ward house brand) another bottom-feeder brand.  The only remorse I'd feel for replacing them was that it was a waste of materials and energy for a truly sub-mediocre organ.
        I did a bellows job for a very early M&H where the reservoir cloth was a light canvas painted with a thick layer of bright red-orange shellac. It re-dissolved in alcohol. Of course, it was completely ineffective, and I wonder what drove M&H to do it (a shortage of rubber during the 1853-56 crimean war?).
        Casey
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2011
          To Duaine Hechler ,

          I have studied your pictures of how you restored a Cornish reed organ. In
          one of those pictures it looks like you have removed the bellows from the
          frame and the foundation board. I am restoring my Cornish and I have
          removed all the action parts on top of the foundation board. But I cannot
          see how to remove the foundation board so that I can get at the bellows to
          recover it. Maybe I will just have to remove it by loosening the old glue
          that is holding it to the bottom of the foundation board. What do you
          advise?

          Dwight