From the Pulpit of a Holiness Preacher "Peace In Christ" Ephesians 2 & John 16:33 December 2012

  • Richard Swift
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2012
      From the Pulpit of a Holiness Preacher

      December 2012

      An email newsletter ministry of Richard D. Swift, publishing the sermons of Rev. Reed A. Swift (1899-1973), a holiness preacher

      The following sermon was preached in the Free Methodist Churches of W.Hollywood, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Summerville, Louisiana; Martha's Chapel, Louisiana; Jena, Louisiana (Jan. '45); Pomona, California; and Mira Loma, California (twice, the last being '53) and in the Bible Missionary Church of Cucamonga, California ('59).

      Peace in Christ

      Ephesians 2 Lesson and John 16:33 Text

      "That in me ye may have peace."

      Jesus is the only one who can give peace. Many people want their own way, nice things, a good job, to get married once and some several times. True peace is not in things or friends alone. "Every good and perfect gift comes from Christ." Many seek everywhere else but recieve only disappointment. Jesus gives beauty for ashes and oil of joy for satisfaction. "Come unto me and I will give you rest." "Great peace have they which love thy law." Isaiah says, "There is no peace saith the Lord to the wicked." Isaiah speaks of Jesus coming "to open prison doors, unstop deaf ears, strengthen feeble knees, give life to those dead in trespasses and sins." How serious! No peace to anyone who puts anything ahead of Christ in his heart or life. Isaiah says, "The way of peace have they not known."

      A false peace: Many people are decieved. They take ease of mind for peace of heart. 1st Thessalonians 5:3, "When they shall say peace and safety: then sudden destruction cometh upon them and no escape."

      Three aspects of Peace. I've been in 40 states but the best is contentment!
      1. Reconciliation with God. Ephesians 2:14-17
      2. Peace with ourselves. Our own conscience.
      3. Peace with men. Galatians 5:22-26

      It is our priviledge to bring everything that troubles or distresses our souls to God and exchange them for this wonderful peace. many people who are not afraid to die (or say so) donot have the peace of God in their hearts. To have peace with God, you must have victory over secret sins. You must have a conscience void of offense toward God and man.

      Poem- "In Me - Peace!"

      "Long had I wandered restlessly
      In paths so fraught with grief and pain,
      Until there came into my soul
      That voice that never speaks in vain,
      'In me thou shalt have peace.'

      Christ calmed my anxious burdened heart
      And shed His goodness on my way,
      Till midst the turmoil and the strife,
      I heard Him gently, sweetly say,
      'In me thou shalt have peace.'

      What though I cannot understand
      Why trials come, and grief and pain,
      My soul shall never be afraid,
      For Christ's own words will still sustain,
      'In me thou shalt have peace.'

      And when at last the hour has come
      When I shall see Him face to face,
      My heart with praise will overflow
      For words like these sweet words of Grace,
      'In me thou shalt have peace.'
      -selected-

      Paul Thomas, editor of "Pilgrim Holiness Advocate", said, "Many people build upon the sands of expediency rather than upon the Rock of Principle." We need to pray down through the sand and debris to the Rock of Principle and find peace.

      A beggar may become a millionaire, and a slave may become a king, but this is less than a sinner realizes when converted and becomes an heir of God and joint heir with Jesus Christ, or "an inheritance incorruptable, undefiled, and that fadeth not away." Don't think it strange if people weep a little for joy, and shout and rejoice over the prospects. Glory to God! We have a degree of heaven to go to heaven in!

      We need higher Christian standards today. Quality is needed more than quantity. Most churches are looking for numbers more than the Holy Ghost. My experience as a pastor- rings- beer, etc.

      Which way shall we take? The way of fidelity to truth and righteousness or the way of compromise? If you choose the way of Truth and Righteousness, you will have a battle with satan and his hosts, but the smile of God upon you. It is easy to compromise a little here and a lttle there but it leads to spiritual death. Again, I say dig deep and strike the Rock and build upon a firm foundation- Jesus Christ the Rock of Ages.

      John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. [flesh and devil!]

      John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

      Peace is the portion of all who live in communion with God.

      "Oh, the peace my Saviour gives,
      Peace I never knew before;
      And the way has brighter grown,
      Since I learned to trust Him more."
      -selected-

      Poem- "The Better Way"

      "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day,
      I'd rather one would walk with me, than merely show the way,
      The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear;
      Fine council is confusing, but example's always clear;
      And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
      For to see the good in action is what the body needs.

      I can soon learn how to do it if you'll let me see it done,
      I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run,
      And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true,
      But I'd rather get my lesson by observing what you do;
      For I may misunderstand you, and the high advice you give,
      But there's no misunderstanding how you act and how you live."

      --Roy L. Laurin

      This concludes my grandfather's sermon. i felt this message is appropriate for this Christmas season. Through the news of violence, killings, war, and crime, there still is Peace in Christ! The Babe born in a manger on that 1st Christmas morn died on an old rugged cross on Calvary that we might have peace. So...

       MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

      From Richard and Sue and all our family, and

      Yours for  Radical Holiness,
      Richard D. Swift