FROM the PULPIT of a HOLINESS PREACHER
An email newsletter ministry of Richard D. Swift, publishing the sermons of Rev. Reed A. Swift (1899-1973), a holiness preacher
The following sermon was preached in the Free Methodist Churches of Phoenix, Arizona; Jonesville, Winnsboro, Chickasaw (1942), and Jena (1944), Louisiana; Pomona, and Mira Loma, California; and in the Cucamonga Bible Missionary Church at the temporary Ontario, California location, April 1, 1962).
Conferring Not With Flesh and Blood
"Immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood."
Paul's conversion was remarkable- Thousands call him Blessed [illegible]. He took an independent course for God when he knew God's will for him. He "determined not to know anything but Christ and Him crucified."
1. He didnot consult believers. As certain of our salvation, the Holy Ghost witness is better than angels.
2. Nor his relatives. They might advise caution!
3. Nor his own interests. He counted all loss for Christ.
4. Nor his safety. He risked all to win Christ and heaven.
Oh, to know God's will and then don't stay too long to bid family and friends good-bye or try out a yoke of oxen, or something else. Go! Go! Go!
1. God's will comes first and requires haste. Good men of all ages have acted on this conviction: Noah, Abraham, Moses, Gideon, Samson, David, Elijah, Daniel, 3 hebrew men, Paul and Silas, and others.
2. To ask more of men's advice puts God in second place.
3. To hesitate or delay doing God's known will almost always ends in not doing it at all. He gave all and expects all.
1. In forsaking sin, we cannot consult society. The world is no friend of grace to help us.
2. In upright business dealings, you cannot consult the customs of business.
3. In obeying God's will, we cannot go by the standards of [religious] professors.
4. In faithful service to Christ, we cannot consult likes or dislikes, gain or loss, ease or hardship, but only His will.
1. Don't be afraid of self denials. God sees!
2. Be honest in Holiness and live by your convictions!
Be too honorable to lie, cheat, or compromise! General Jackson forfeited $25,000/year after the Civil War because he would not give his name to some lottery shark. Paul conferred not with flesh and blood when he once knew God's will for him! Are we putting God's will and work first/ no one can assume our responsibility!
Oh for a certainty borne of God and then say,
"It is not ours to reason why
But ours alone to dare and die."
Dr. Payson said, "What God calls a man to do, He will carry him safely through."
Look to God! Not like Lot's wife- backward! "To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days." Galatians 1:16-17
Psalm 25:14- "The secret of the Lord is with them that fear Him, and He will show them His covenant."
The secret to us in His spiritual realm: The new birth, sanctification, Faith, worth of prayer, answers, power with God!
We are building every day
In a good or evil way,
And the structure, as it grows,
Will our inmost self disclose,
Till in every arch and line
All our faults and failings shine;
It may grow a castle grand,
Or a wreck upon the sand.
Do you ask what building this
That can show both pain and bliss,
That can be both dark and fair?
Lo, its name is character!
Build it well, whate’er you do;
Build it straight and strong and true;
Build it clear and high and broad;
Build it for the eye of God.
I. E. Dickenga.
This concludes my grandfather's sermon.
Yours for Radical Holiness,
Richard D. Swift