From the Pulpit of a Holiness Preacher "Christ the Only Way" Proverbs 16:25 December 2011

  • Richard Swift
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2011
                   From the Pulpit of a Holiness Preacher

                           December 2011

      An email newsletter ministry of Richard D. Swift, publishing the sermons of Rev. Reed A. Swift (1899-1973), a holiness preacher

      This "From the Pulpit of Holiness Preacher" newsletter is the 40th I've sent out since March of '06. This is the 38th I've typed of my grandfather's sermons. There are 97 more sermons not including the "Class Meeting Materials" in one old envelope and "Funeral Material" (several sermons) in a very torn envelope. Of those 97, 5 cannot be used. Two of them are missionary sermons with very limited relevancy. One is too faded to read. Two are basically abridgements of a couple sermons. This makes 92 more sermons that can be used. Doing one per month, it will take me until August of 2019 to finish!

      The following sermon was preached in the Free Methodist Churches of Yale, Buel, Ball Circuit, Michigan; Caro, Michigan; Glendale, California; W. Hollywood, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Pomona, California; and Mira Loma, California. It was also preached twice in the Bible Missionary Church of Cucamonga, California (the last date of Nov.12, '61).

                             Christ, the Only Way

      Text: Proverbs 16:25 "There is a way that seemeth right unto man, but the ends thereof are the ways of death."

      1. Besetting sin? Pride, Jealousy, Lust, Greed? the sin of your constitution or trade? But sin in any form is a reproach to any people. Ends in death!

      2. False view of religion: "All roads lead to heaven." Sincere but wrong!

      3. Imperfect repentance: Believe with no witness or assurance

      4. False Faith: Walking back of light. The way of the transgressor is hard. Repent! We may walk back of light and gain worldly fame, but "a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things he possesseth" (Luke 12:15). "If thou wilt enter eternal life, keep the commandments of God." (Matthew 19:17)  "Whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world." In us and outside of us! Praise God! Jesus said, "Marvel not that I say unto you, ye must be born again." Made new creatures. New desires, appetites, aspirations, rather than to look, talk, or act like the world. I don't want a trinket that belongs to satan. In these days of powerless Christianity, let us search our hearts and see if there be any wicked way of the world in us.

      "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." (2nd Peter 1:4)

      When children 5 years old can pray through, and know God, and have peace come into their hearts, it would seem that older people, and even those in their 2nd childhood ought to know Him and keep peace in their souls. Doesn't it?

      Oh God send us a revival! Why did the Methodists have revivals? Why did we used to have revivals? Because we were a Spirit filled, witnessing people. Ephesians 5:22-25,29 "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. 25Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another...29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."

      When Charles G. Finney preached in Philadelphia, rough lumberjacks were floating their logs down the Delaware River. Three men went to hear Finney and were fully converted. Then they went back and told of finding Jesus as their Saviour, and 5000 people were converted without a preacher. They had never heard a preacher. Some [preachers] were sent to them later. Colossians 3:8-10 "But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:"

      Salvation is a radical changing of the heart, transforming of the life, and an imparting of Christ-likeness into us. A church or individual must have it to win others. A good example is found in Acts 4:13; 5:41,42. 4:13- "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus."
      5:41,42- "41And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. 42And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

      Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." Acts 4:12- "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." The way is straight and narrow, and difficult with crosses and temptations, but, "He giveth more grace."

      The Path of the Just:

      1. Keep your eyes on the Way. "Remember Lot's wife."

      2. Hands and feet in His way of salvation. Colssians 2:20-22- "20Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21(Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?"
      Walk not in the way of the world. don't run with the worldly crowd in excess of riot. Run this race with patience, "looking unto Jesus, the Author and finisher of our faith."

      3. Thoughts in the way! Philippians 4:7,8- "7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Isaiah 55:7-9- "7Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

      Read only good literature. store your mind with good so there will no room for evil thoughts.

      4. Keep your tongue in the Way of Life. Have your converstion in heaven. When we are praying for someone, we are not criticizing them are we? Some pray that way!

      The condition of the heart rules the tongue. "A man of words and not of deeds is like a garden of weeds." (Evangelical Bulletin)

      J.T. Larsen tells of a man saved by a converstion. Rev. Gravett of Denver, Colorado, a Baptist minister met a man at the drinking fountain. The stranger told Mr. Gravett to go first.
      Mr. Gravett said to him, "God invites you to drink at the fountain of the water of life. For God says in the Bible, 'let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.'(Revelation 22:17).
      "Does the Bible say that?" asked the man.
      "Yes, and it will mean eternal life to your soul", said Gravett.
      The man turned to go, and Mr. Gravett said, "Come and hear Gypsy Smith tonight in the City Auditorium." Then they parted.
      Thirty years later, Mr. Gravett was conducting a meeting in Greeley, Colorado. As he stepped up to the Post Office window for his mail, the Postmaster called Mr. gravett into his office and related this incident. he said he had the poison in his pocket to take that night before he drank at the fountain, but upon Mr. Gravett's advice, he went to Gypsy Smith's meeting that night and was converted. Since then he had lived a new life. Someone said, "I saw it on the bill-board at an Evangelical Church, 'A man with a big mouth usually has a small brain.'" It means something to be minutemen for God.

      5. Keep your ears in the way. Many people hear things that are injurious to their Christian experience. "Take not up a reproach against thy neighbor." Keep your ears in tune to heaven, not human gossip.

      6. Keep your heart in the way. "Render to Ceasar the things that are Ceasars and to God the things that are His." "Set your affections on things above and not on this earth."

      [Inserted is an article, entitled "Die Rather Than Surrender". Below are some excerpts from that article]

      "Carved over the entrance of a certain fort on Europe's battle-fiels, are the words, 'Die under the ruins of this fort rather than surrender.' There is another warfare in which the spirit of these words is to be observed just as loyally. When the Christian is contending in life's battle for principle he first puts on the necessary spiritual armor, and having done this, it his duty to 'stand' until struck down in the defense of his Master's cause. Death under such circumstances is victory of the highest type."- Hallock in Young People's Friend

      "The path of the just is as a shining light that shineth more and more unto the perfect day."

      "Therefore, come what may, hold fast to love. Though men should rend your heart, let them not embitter or harden it. We win by tenderness, we conquer by forgiveness."- F.W. Robertson

      "Avoid the very appearance of evil."

      [The following was pasted on to this sermon. With 21st Century technology I was able to scan, copy, and paste this to the sermon by attachment.]

      [This concludes this sermon of my grandfather]

      Yours for Radical Holiness,
      Richard D. Swift
      505 Hickory Hills Dr
      Dexter, MO 63841