Note: Last month's issue, Daily Prayer, was sent out from my gmail account. Some recieved their newsletter in their spam box. If you didnot recieve last month's, that is probably the reason. My email account was compromised! If you want last month's let me know and i will send it.
From the Pulpit of a Holiness Preacher
An email newsletter ministry of Richard D. Swift, publishing the sermons of Rev Reed A Swift (1899-1973), a holiness preacher.
[Editor's Note: There are no specific sermons on Thanksgiving in my collection of my grandfather's sermons]
The following sermon was preached in the Free Methodist Churches of Pomona, California (1945-'48); Rayville, Lousiana; and Mira Loma, California (1950); and in the Bible Missionary Church of Cucamonga, California (1961).
I John 2:18- "Ye have heard that antichrist shall come"
Some believe that antichrist is a system of atheism, but the Scriptures confirm antichrist as a literal individual man. The Apostle Paul calls him the "man of sin". The Hebrews were taught to look for a personal Christ. The Scriptures are more definite concerning the antichrist. He is an individual man in reference to his character, conduct, and doom. he wears a crown, carries a bow, blasphemes, persecutes, claims worship, kills, changes times, and treats treaties and covenants as mere scraps of paper. here is a plain scripture concerning the antichrist: Revelation 13:18-"Here is wisdom. let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the nuber of man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." Six is the scriptural number of imperfection. Six repeated 3 times is an infernal trinity. The trinity of Hell: the Dragon, the Beast, and the False Prophet. You cannot mention the word six in hardly any language without the hiss
of the serpent! Let us examine a number of scriptures in the Old and New Testaments that prove that the antichrist is to copy and counterfeit the Christ of God.
1. Christ was God manifest in the flesh, the mystery of godliness. 1st Timothy 3:16 "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."
Antichrist will be satan manifest in the flesh, or the mystery of iniquity. 2nd Thessalonians 2:7-10 "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved."
2. Christ came from above, from the bosom of the Father. John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."
Antichrist comes from below at the order of satan. Revelation 11:7 "And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them."
3. Christ stripped Himself of His Dietyto become a man. Philippians 2:5-7 "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"
Antichrist is not content to be a man but apes to become a God. II Thessalonians 2:3-4 "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."
4. Christ came to do the will of His Heavenly Father. Christ had no beauty but was despised and rejected of men. Isaiah 53:2-3 " For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not."
Antichrist will do the will of satan and is admired, accepted, and worshipped. Revelation 13:3,4 " And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. 4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?”
5. Christ came in His Father's name and was not received. John 5:43 "I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not:"
Antichrist comes in his own name and is received. John 5:43 "if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive."
6. Christ refused the kingdoms of this world and the glories of them from satan. Matthew 28:18 "And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."
Antichrist accepts the kingdoms of the world from satan. If you can't stand now, how will you then? Revelation 13:7 "And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations."
7. Christ has all authority given Him by the Father. Matthew 28:18
"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."
Antichrist has all authority given to him by satan. Revelation 13:2 "and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority".
8. Christ received no honor of men but humbled Himself.
Antichrist kills all who refuse to honor and worship him. Revelation 13:15 "And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed." Antichrist exalteth and magnifieth himself.
9. Christ's mission was to perform miracles, wonders, and signs. Christ refused to advertise Himself. Matthew 12:19 "He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets."
Antichrist will perform signs and lying wonders. He will be slain for his boastfulness. Daniel 7:11 "I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame."
10. Christ spoke the commandments from God the Father. He is seen as a Lamb bearing the marks of His words. Christ rose again to redeem and is declared to be the Son of God. Of Christ it was said: Revelation 5:9 "And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;"
Antichrist will speak great things and blasphemies of satan. He is as a slain man bearing the marks of his words. He arises from his deadly wound and is declared worthy of worship. Revelation 13:7 "And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations."
11. Christ is on a white horse to prepare for His Reign of Righteousness. Revelation 19:11 "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war."
Antichrist is on a white horse to prepare for his reign of terror. Revelation 6:2 "And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer."
12. Christ has as His Bride, the spotless Church. Ephesians 5:27 "That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."
Antichrist has as a bride, the harlot church. Revelation 17:3-7 "So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: 5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. 7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns."
13. Christ has a mark of His Name and of His Father's Name in the forehead of His saints. Revelation 14:1 and 22:4 "His Name shall be in their foreheads." [see also Revelation 7:1-8]
Antichrist has a mark in the righthand and forehead. Revelation 13:7 "And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:"
14. Christ was rich, but for our sakes He became poor. Matthew 8:20 (and IICor 8:9) "And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."
Antichrist is not content with less than the wealth of the whole world. Revelation 13:17 "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."
15. Christ shall be exalted by God the Father. Phillipians 2:8,9 Christ shall reign King of Kings and Lord of Lords after He hath put all His enemies under His feet. Revelation 19:16 ICorinthians 15:25 Christ is finally exalted to the highest heaven and shall reign forever and forever. Revelation 11:15 Ephesians 1:21
Antichrist exalteth himself but he shall be destroyed without hands. Daniel 8:25 Antichrist reigns as king of kings for a short time. Revelation 13:1 Revelation 17:12,13 Antichrist is cast to the lowest hell for his blasphemy and deception. Revelation 20:10 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
Before satan fell he was very beautiful. He is still intelligent and can transform himself into an angel of light. He decieves many. The antichrist will be a marvelous scholar, an orator, an able financier, or a great general. He will draw admiration from the whole world. He is the people's idea of a "world emperor". At first he is very religious and is hailed by the Jews as their messiah. Daniel 9:27 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." He decrees none can buy or sell without the mark of the beast.
This period of one week is a week of years or 7 yrs. In the midst, the antichrist throws off his mask and reveals himself.
[editor's note: It is my understanding that Daniel's 70th week was fulfilled at the Crucifixion of Christ. See Adam Clarke's Commentary on Daniel 9 and other commentary writers such as Matthew Henry. L.L. Pickett wrote an excellent book on the subject of the antichrist. Also read Daniel Steele's "Answers". There is no where in the Book of Revelation where 7 years is mentioned.]
Christ restores order out of chaos, but antichrist turns order into chaos. His reign will be marked by absolute anarchy, fearful disorder, cruelty, bloodshed, darkness, and confusion. He is the "man of sin". This is the time of "Jacob's Trouble" or "the Great Tribulation. There never was such a time of agony and suffering. The Lord said, "since the world began". God's righteous judgements are outpoured. Revelation 13:5-9 "5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. 6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. 8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. 9 If any man have an ear, let him hear." In Daniel 7:25 and 11:36,37, antichrist speaks great words and blasphemy against the most high. He is destroyed without hands. Daniel 7:11. He will compel the whole world to worship him on pain of death. Revelation 13:12,15. He sits as God in the temple of God. IIThessalonians 2:4 But he shall be destroyed. II Thessalonians 2:7,8 "7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:"
Before this takes place there must first be a falling away or apostacy among believers. I believe we are yearning for the end of our probation.
"Oh, it Must be the Coming of the Lord".
"There are voices in the air.
Filling men with hope and fear;
There are signals everywhere
That the end is drawing near,
There are warnings to prepare,
For the King will soon be here;
Oh it must be the coming of the Lord!
Troublous times are gathering round,
Days of lawlessness and crime,
Mighty earthquakes shake the ground,
War clouds rise in every clime,
While there comes a solemn sound,
'We are near the end of time',
Oh it must be the coming of the Lord!"-selected
"Prepare ye the Way of the Lord; Make His paths straight." If you're ready to live, you will be ready to die. We may have our treasure in earthen vessels, ready to live or die. You may know the way to Heaven. Jesus is the door. Not all roads lead to heaven as some think. Jesus is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life". Do you know Him as your personal Saviour? He is the Good Shepherd. He came to Redeem!
[Gregory Mantle's book, "The Counterfeit Christ", pg11 is noted at the end of this sermon which leads me to believe that Rev. Swift used it for his sermon material]