21First meeting of the New Year for the Jane Austen Society

  • aegtgg
    Jan 4, 2011
      Greetings once again. We have a new year ahead of us, one which I hope everyone will find enjoyable.

      The first meeting of the new year will be on Tuesday, January 18th, 6:30 PM in the large Community Room of the Lititz Library.

      As the society's new president, I will give highlights of what the year may hold in store and some other tidbits, along with a short lecture (it's a surprise!). Our group has grown by such leaps and bounds, that many of us are not as acquainted with each other as we'd like to be. Therefore I am considering this first meeting of the year a "meet and greet", a group social. If any of you have new recipes you'd like to try out, this is the time to do that. Some of us will try to arrive before 6:30 to get the hot water started. So you are welcome to arrive early. And at 7:45 I'd like to see us begin to collect our things and clean up so that we can be out of the library by closing time. We are fortunate that we do not have to pay a fee to use that venue monthly, so I'd like our group to be considerate of the staff and try not to delay their closing at 8 PM.

      This is the month that dues for this year are collected. Dues are still $5.00. Please bring cash. Give your dues to the new treasurer, Joyce Kreps.

      Marianne Fasolina, the new secretary, will be providing the sign in sheet. Make sure you have noted any changes in your contact information on the sign in sheet.

      This year's April tea will feature the novel, Mansfield Park. The next couple of months, you can expect to see further communications from me as I finalize the plans for the tea. Also I am looking forward to a talk that our new vice president, Gail Tomlinson is giving in February on Theatricals. If you have read Mansfield Park, you'll understand the interest in this topic.

      Finally, one big change in meeting dates this year. In May we will not meet on the third Tuesday as the room is not available to us due to elections. I have managed to secure the room though, for the 2nd Tuesday. So in May we will meet instead on the 2nd Tuesday, May 10th at 6:30.

      See you all later this month and Happy New Year!

      -- Anita