Re: Albert Wynn and his Gut Bucket Five - 1 Song Added

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@t...> wrote:
      > I saved the best for last. Here's Albert Wynn and his Gut Bucket Five
      > performing "That Creole Band"
      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/misc/thatcreoleband.ram
      >

      > This is the is the style of jazz from the 1920s that really gets me
      going.

      > Scott Alexander
      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      > www.redhotjazz.com
      Excellent stuff. I think both this one and Parkway Stomp are
      derivations of Papa Charlie Jackson's "Salty Dog" composition, and the
      banjo in "That Creole Band" is very interesting as it is sometimes
      very similar with Gus Cannon as Banjo Joe "Jazz Gypsy Blues", maybe ,
      is there any connection between the 3 banjo players Rip Bassett, Gus
      "Banjo Joe" Cannon and Papa Charlie Jackson ?

      tommersl
    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 10, 2005
        A kind soul has supplied the flip side to then Albert Wynn record I
        posted a couple of weeks ago:

        When
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/misc/when.ram

        Lillie Delk Christian supplied the vocals on this tune, but Barney
        Bigard and the rest of the band really tear it up and you forget all
        about her. Lillie Delk Christian also recorded with Louis Armstrong's
        Jazz Four http://www.redhotjazz.com/ldchot4.html

        You can hear more of Albert Wynn's Gut Bucket Five here:
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/wynngut.html

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com