Two suggestions

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2004
      Hello

      And welcome to our latest members (who may have been surprised to receive no
      mail today, but no-one said a group should be active every day ;)

      I wanted to state that I'm not responsible for the new "approval" process
      which requests everyone to mention a reason to subscribe - in a way, it's a
      nice gift from Yahoo which enables me to know who's who ;) This led me to
      thinking that many subscribers would probably like to have their websites
      advertised on the group's webpages, the only convenient way is to add them
      to the "links" (also called bookmarks) page. I didn't have time to test this
      yet, all I know is that it is the only web feature which can be accessed by
      non-members, so if you are interested (it's just a matter of
      "Name/Webmaster/Description" I think) I might add a line to the group's
      description, something like "visit our members' websites" with a direct link
      to the... links page (in case people were too lazy to look anywhere else).

      I am also thinking of making the archives public : this means any visitor
      would be able to read the group's messages - useful for people who hesitate
      subscribing, or don't and unsubscribe two days later. I have to inform
      members who never read messages on the web that their individual addresses,
      which clearly appear in individual emails, are "truncated" when read from
      the webpage so that no robot can grab them. Robots are often used for
      spamming purposes, they look for anything that includes the @ sign but
      cannot figure out the end - whereas humans can, when the ISP is well-known.
      According to my experience on about thirty groups, it only happened once in
      seven years that some visitor managed to guess someone's address and started
      harassing him, so this is indeed less dangerous than posting to a close
      friend or using the Internet at all. *But* I've made it a rule to cancel the
      feature if anyone objected, so do not hesitate to tell me if you do not
      agree.