thanks for information on Cy Laurie Discog and recording

  • jazzgirl1920s@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2005
      <If no one knows the answers to these questions there is a Cy Laurie
      discography in Gerard Bielderman's Euro-Dixie discographies series, which
      has run to at least 5 editions (!) and would no doubt provide the answer.

      There is an LP with a quartet on Sunstreamer S/12L/A1 recorded at Eltham (a
      London suburb) on 29 September 1984 called "Shades of Cy".>
      Thanks a lot for this information- I don't have that discography but i would
      sure like to find it.Especially if it lists all his recordings.
      The Sunstreamer you mention would be the latest recording - 1984 - of his i
      know of- I wish i had it but being an lp it is probably going to be impossible
      to find in the United States but i will look.I go to record stores that have
      used Lp's but there are never any lp's by British trad bands.I guess they
      weren't too popular here except for Acker Bilk's "Stranger On The Shore".I remember
      seeing that record a lot years ago- I just wish Cy Laurie had become as
      popular as Acker Bilk did here- Linda-

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2005
        on 31/7/05 2:04, jazzgirl1920s@... at jazzgirl1920s@... wrote:

        > <If no one knows the answers to these questions there is a Cy Laurie
        > discography in Gerard Bielderman's Euro-Dixie discographies series, which
        > has run to at least 5 editions (!) and would no doubt provide the answer.
        >
        > There is an LP with a quartet on Sunstreamer S/12L/A1 recorded at Eltham (a
        > London suburb) on 29 September 1984 called "Shades of Cy".>
        > Thanks a lot for this information- I don't have that discography but i would
        > sure like to find it.

        Gerard Bielderman's discographies, including Cy Laurie (I just checked), can
        be obtained directly from Gerard, whose website is at
        <http://www.edjackson.ca/gerardbiel/>

        He calls them "Euro-Jazz" rather than Euro-Dixie discographies (I
        mis-remembered) and there are 149 volumes listed, as well as some other
        series, including Raymond Lee's "Sounds of New Orleans" discographies.

        He doesn't appear to take credit cards but Norbert Ruecker certainly stocks
        them and I'd be surprised if some of the American book dealers who are
        mentioned from time to time on this list don't keep them as well.