"Kid Ory's Brown Skin Babies"?

  • Andrew Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2014
      Hi all,
      I was reading an interview with Ory bassist Ed "Montudie" Garland in Floyd Levin's book "Classic Jazz" and he mentioned this, below, which is also referenced on the Doctor Jazz website.
      Garland says:
      I played at Pete Lala's 25 Club on Iberville with Freddie Keppard in 1906 and again four years later in Kid Ory's Brown Skin Babies.  Ory's band included Joe Oliver on cornet, Johnny Dodds on clarinet, Emile Bigard on violin, Lorenzo Staultz on guitar, and I think, Henry Martin played drums."
      (Levin, p. 50)
      Ignoring possible date inaccuracies (seems early for Oliver to be with Ory), I'm curious about the name of the Ory band.  These days people refer to this band as "the Kid Ory Band" or say "he played with Kid Ory's New Orleans band," no mention of a specific band name.

      Is it possible that Ory used "Kid Ory's Brown Skin Babies" regularly as the name for his band, and in advertising?  These days the name is very politically incorrect, I'm wondering whether that is the reason it has fallen out of use (for the past 80 years or so).

      Regards, Andrew

      --
      Andrew Taylor, MLS
      Associate Curator, Visual Resources
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2014
        Spent several paragraphs on the name of the band in my book. By his own account tudi joined ory after his move to New Orleans which was in 1910.

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2014
          Thanks John,

          I figured you'd explored that in your "Creole Trombone" but couldn't see it.
          Found it just now, John also discusses Ory in later years retroactively ascribing the name "Woodland Band," to his 1910s band.

          It's interesting that Floyd Levin (in 1971) mistakes/conflates/whatever the 1912 Creole Band with the 1917 Duhé-led band (the two precursors to King Oliver's recorded band), presumably because both backed blackface clogger Mabel Elaine.

          John (and many others of course) alludes to the many difficulties of fact-checking oral history.

           - Andrew