Walter “Jock” Bennett

  • robertgreenwood_54uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      This is the entry for Bennett as it appears in Walter C. Allen's
      Hendersonia.
      "Replaced John Micheaux (in the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra, RG) in
      September 1942, when the latter went into the army. Bennett was an
      old-timer whom Fletcher knew from way back. He took over the lead
      book, was not a hot soloist. Walter Harris and Linton Garner recalled
      him as a tremendous high-note player: "they had to throw away all the
      old arrangements when he left." Boonie Hazel, who joined later, found
      him a nice guy but uncommunicative of his skills: "He knew things
      about his trumpet I could never get him to tell me…..a heck of a
      first trumpet player."
      Well, that doesn't tell us a lot, maybe, but I guess this is the same
      Walter Bennett? It's the first I've heard of him being
      nicknamed "Jock".
      Robert Greenwood.