Mind The Gap was What a shame to be so lo-tech

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2014
      Hi Alan

      Just had to youtube Pugh of whom have never heard. Lottsa notes. But gaps are important too. Music without gaps is music without tension. A facile player derivative of various sources but mostly Hackett. Hackett left gaps. Supreme leaver of gaps -- maybe even to the extent sometimes of incoherence -- Eldridge.

      The cornet can be a musical eunuch. Supreme cornet with balls, Bill Davison.

      Clifford also left few gaps, filled every space, he was good even so but spawned  the school of seamless doodlers such as Terry.

      Pre-bop, my vote for supreme fast articulated trumpet would go to Bill Coleman. His pre-war sides are among the greatest jazz trumpet of all time. With gaps.

      Dave

      alan.bond@... [RedHotJazz] wrote:

      Two more names to conjur with - Clifford Brown and John Pugh. Both very erudite musicians who knew all about triple tongueing and the execution of fast passages. Right at the other end of the jazz spectrum I grant you, but

      swinging nevertheless.
      TTFN - 007

    • alan504450
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2014
        Not to forget Ruby Braff.
        TTFN - 007

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2014
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 19, 2014
            WOW ! I did have to gag him; the guy is too stupid to use email commands
            properly, but he was smart enough to create three different accounts !
            Sorry, everyone !