Walter Bennett (yet again)

  • Rader, Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      I had one of my sporadic conversations with David French of Frog records
      yesterday. One thing he told me was that Jazz Oracle was planning a CD
      devoted to Walter Bennett.

      David has material for another three CDs using work by John RT Davies
      and will be working with Ted Kendall in future. The next releases are a
      Perry Bradford collection to complement the projected Timeless CD and
      some Clarence Williams odds and ends. I'm afraid that I've forgotten the
      third. The next big project up his sleeve is an Ida Cox set, which would
      leave out alternate takes. David says he has about 75% of the originals
      needed for the project.

      A CD with extreme rarities from John RT Davies' collection is planned
      for release on Jazz Oracle. By the way, Worlds Records announce a Jazz
      Oracle double on Lud Gluskin in their "coming soon" section.

      David, who's generally very easy-going and mild-mannered, was quite
      angry when I raised the subject of JSP records. You might know that John
      Stedman, the owner of JSP, was convicted by a Hamburg court for ripping
      off restoration work by Bear Family for his two Carter Family boxes.

      This is not the only case where Stedman has "borrowed" others work.
      Perhaps the most recent case is "Breaking out of New Orleans" which
      probably uses work done (and usually paid for) for Frog, Jazz Oracle,
      Timeless and Retrieval. The "Masters of Memphis Blues" uses restoration
      work from two old JSP CDs which David bought (not leased) for reissue on
      Frog. Understandably, David is not amused...

      Cheers,