Frank Dusen (Duson)

  • Peter Reid
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2014
      Hi,
      Found three more photos in "New Orleans Jazz" Al Rose & Edmond Souchon
      (1984)
      One is just a head and shoulders shot which doesn't appear to be posed,
      the second photo however is of
      the "Eagle Band" taken in 1916 and shows Frank Dusen posing with
      trombone to his mouth. The third photo
      is of the "Emergency Relief Administration Band" (I count 96 members)
      taken in Jackson Square in 1935, a year before he died.
      Presumably he played on and off all his life, although in the book "In
      Search of Buddy Bolden" it states he was hard hit by the Depression, and
      as a non-reader didn't have the musical background or a back-up
      profession to help him.

      Peter
    • ragtimeman25
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2014
        since I have a membership to ancestry.com, I was able to do a records search for Frank Dusen in New Orleans.

        I found a Census record from 1920 that says -

        Frank Duson
        age - 41
        birthplace - Louisiana
        Home in 1920 - New Orleans Ward 13, Orleans Parish
        Race - black
        Gender - male
        relation to head of household - head
        marital status - married
        spouse - Beatrice Duson
        father's birthplace - Louisiana
        mother's birthplace -Louisiana
        Home owned - rent
        able to read - yes
        able to write - yes
        trade or profession - musician
        industry or business - orchestra
        employer, salary, or wage worker - W

        I have scanned this census record, and if you will let me know how to attach it, I will.

        Perhaps under photos?  I'll try

        John

      • Andrew Taylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2014

          Here's another interesting Photo book that might be of interest - Andrew Taylor
          http://books.google.com/books?id=Fya4nQEACAAJ
          Keepnews, Orrin, and Bill Grauer.

          A Pictorial History of Jazz; People and Places from New Orleans to Modern Jazz /

          by Orrin Keepnews and Bill Grauer.

          New York:

          Crown Publishers, [1955].

          Quoting "Peter Reid reid1947@... [RedHotJazz]" <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>:

          Hi,
          Found three more photos in "New Orleans Jazz" Al Rose & Edmond Souchon
          (1984)
          One is just a head and shoulders shot which doesn't appear to be posed,
          the second photo however is of
          the "Eagle Band" taken in 1916 and shows Frank Dusen posing with
          trombone to his mouth. The third photo
          is of the "Emergency Relief Administration Band" (I count 96 members)
          taken in Jackson Square in 1935, a year before he died.
          Presumably he played on and off all his life, although in the book "In
          Search of Buddy Bolden" it states he was hard hit by the Depression, and
          as a non-reader didn't have the musical background or a back-up
          profession to help him.

          Peter

          Andrew Taylor, MLS
          Associate Curator, Visual Resources