Red Hot Jazz - William Covington Perry

  • Laurel James
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 2, 2014
      > Subject: Red Hot Jazz - William Covington Perry
      >
      > Re: http://www.redhotjazz.com/sixblackdi.html
      >
      > Dear Mr. Red Hot Jazz:
      >
      > I see you have referred to my Grandfather’s band,
      > Perry’s Hot Dogs, twice in the Index. His name is not
      > included anywhere.
      >
      >     (Perry's Hot Dogs) Flamin' Mamie 2-1926 New York,
      > New York Banner
      >     (Perry's Hot Dogs) Say, Mister ! Have You Met
      > Rosie's Sister ? 2-1926 New York, New York Banner
      >
      > William Covington Perry, Conductor, Arranger and Composer,
      > pianist, organist. His Birth was Jan 1895 in Pennsylvania
      > and his Death on 30 Oct 1936 in Banning, California, at a
      > Sanitarium for TB patients. His wife was an Opera Singer at
      > the Old Met in the Chorus, Victoria Mae Perry. His daughter
      > Barbara Mae Perry is still alive.
      >
      > Would you please give him the credit he is due for this
      > band on your site. My mother could tell you about him for

      > hours and all the band members. I am now a member of this group.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Kind Regards,
      >

      > Ms Laurel James

    • Laurel James
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 2, 2014
        FYI: Another hit for William and his Hot Dog's on You Tube.

        <http://youtu.be/Hu_uCoXAIXU>

        On Mon, 6/2/14, Laurel James <lljames123@...> wrote:

        Subject: Red Hot Jazz - William Covington Perry
        To: redhotjazz@yahoogroups.com, redhotjazz-owner@yahoogroups.com
        Cc: l.james@...
        Date: Monday, June 2, 2014, 8:56 AM

        > Subject: Red Hot Jazz - William
        Covington Perry

        > Re: http://www.redhotjazz.com/sixblackdi.html
        >
        > Dear Mr. Red Hot Jazz:
        >
        > I see you have referred to my Grandfather’s band,
        > Perry’s Hot Dogs, twice in the Index. His name is
        not
        > included anywhere.
        >
        >     (Perry's Hot Dogs) Flamin' Mamie 2-1926 New
        York,

        > New York Banner
        >     (Perry's Hot Dogs) Say, Mister ! Have You
        Met
        > Rosie's Sister ? 2-1926 New York, New York Banner
        >
        > William Covington Perry, Conductor, Arranger and
        Composer,
        > pianist, organist. His Birth was Jan 1895 in
        Pennsylvania
        > and his Death on 30 Oct 1936 in Banning, California, at
        > Sanitarium for TB patients. His wife was an Opera
        Singer at
        > the Old Met in the Chorus, Victoria Mae Perry. His
        daughter
        > Barbara Mae Perry is still alive.
        >
        > Would you please give him the credit he is due for
        this
        > band on your site. My mother could tell you about him
        for
        > hours and all the band members. I am now a member of
        this group.

        > Thank you.
        >
        > Kind Regards,
        >

        > Ms Laurel James
      • Dave Lang
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 3, 2014
          Hi Laurel! Not sure how active this group is anymore (yours is the first message I've ever received from it) but I wanted to let you know I got your message and the youtube link sounds great!

          cheers,
          dave

          Dave Lang
          davelang68@...
          www.davelang.com
          (250) 588-3464

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 4, 2014
            Hello Dave, hello all,

            Thank you for acknowledging Laurel's message and link, this group has been
            quite inactive for something like a year, but its 800+ subscribers are still
            there... maybe I should make a monthly annoucement for new members (who keep
            learning about this group while visiting the RHJA welcome page) to explain
            once again several important points :
            a) There is no way that we know of to get in touch with Scott Alexander, who
            vanished from the group years ago and left his great website unattended.
            b) None of us is in charge of Scott's website, which means that nothing can
            be changed/improved/repaired by anyone... but its absent webmaster
            c) The brief introductions which Yahoo encourages every new subscriber to
            write are never sent to the group itself, which is a shame since many of
            them contain very interesting questions or informations. Of course, I can
            read each of these as the group's owner/moderator, but as I explained to
            Laurel, I never take the liberty of forwarding them myself - some people may
            not like to see their identities displayed on the message board without
            their explicite consent, so it is up to you to post to the group once you
            have been accepted as a member... maybe I should add that a public
            introduction is the safest way to let me know you are a "real person" and I
            can safely remove the moderation feature.

            Another point I intended to make long ago is that it is not a good idea to
            use a dummy email address while subscribing - or one you never fancy using
            again. I had to put under moderation, or silently remove several people
            because they could not be reached - my warnings did not regard behaviour on
            the list, but unresquested messages which meant their accounts or their
            computers had been infected or hacked some way or other. I do not know if
            this group still has any future, but I will stick to the simple procedures
            which made it 100% safe for nearly ten years.

            Patrice
          • warrington1@btinternet.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 5, 2014
              Dear Patrice
              I for one would be sorry if the group did become inactive. As a non-expert RedHotJazz enthusiast I have so much to learn. It's absolutely certain that there is information within the group that other members might think is obvious or that is well known to them or that they don't think would be of interest to people like me. They would be wrong. I had some really good advice off members when I asked some time ago what I should seek out to listen to first in my quest to find out what was best in RHJ. Sometimes, anyway, it's good to go over old ground. I bet members enjoyed Radio 4's recent Book of the Week: Louis Armstrong - Master of Modernism. Was there any new information in it? I don't know. But it was a great listen.
              Perhaps, Patrice, it would be useful to members like me if you set out the basic reasons for the group's existence or gave us a topic to explore/ask about/air our thoughts on. I don't mean to be presumptuous or stick my nose in where it's not wanted - it's just that I get so little chance to discuss RHJ with anyone and wouldn't want to lose this one valuable connection.
              Thanks for reading,
              Phil
            • warrington1@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 11, 2014
                  Has anyone heard of "Frank Duson"?

                  "Member of the WHO DAT NATION"
                • Roger Strong
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014
                    Didn’t Jelly Roll Morton speak about a Frankie Duson?

                       Roger Strong

                    Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:17 PM
                    Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Red Hot Jazz - William Covington Perry

                    Has anyone heard of "Frank Duson"?

                    "Member of the WHO DAT NATION"
                  • Kim Altsund
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014
                      Frank Duson jr (Dusen) was born in 1878, trombonist and bandleader. Read more of Duson in "Jazz Puzzles" (Vernhettes/Lindström). www.jazzedit.org  /Kim

                      On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:26:52 +1200
                      "'Roger Strong' roger@... [RedHotJazz]" wrote:
                      > Didn’t Jelly Roll Morton speak about a Frankie Duson?

                      Roger Strong

                      PM
                      > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Red Hot Jazz - William
                      >Covington
                      Perry

                      > Has anyone heard of "Frank Duson"?
                      >
                      > "Member of the WHO DAT
                      NATION"

                    • PETER GERLER
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014
                        Frankie Dusen (usual spelling) played trombone with Buddy Bolden in his later career and, when Bolden "went South" around 1907, took over the band and renamed it the Eagle Band. In that respect, he holds an important place in early jazz history. Best source: In Search of Buddy Bolden by Don Marquis.

                        Cheers!
                        Peter G
                      • alan504450
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014
                          There is a photograph of Frankie Duson on page six of  'A pictorial History of Jazz' by Orrin Keepnews & Bill Grauer Jr. It seems to have been taken in about 1923. In his own handwriting on the picture his name is spelled Duson. My copy dates from 1968 and doesn't even have an ISBN but I know there are second hand copies available at very reasonable prices via the internet.
                          TTFN - 007

                        • lionkenpo@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014

                            Okay, he is may grandfather

                            Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                            Frankie Dusen (usual spelling) played trombone with Buddy Bolden in his later career and, when Bolden "went South" around 1907, took over the band and renamed it the Eagle Band. In that respect, he holds an important place in early jazz history. Best source: In Search of Buddy Bolden by Don Marquis.

                            Cheers!
                            Peter G
                          • John Bartlett
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014
                                Hot damn--another mystery solved! Many thanks, William.

                                Duson a rough character, did ya know?

                                Peter G
                              • ragtimeman25
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 12, 2014
                                  Here is a bio for Frank Dusen -

                                  Frankie Dusen Jr.

                                • lionkenpo@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 13, 2014

                                    Yes, we found a lot of things about him. My mother, the youngest of two girls, is 85.

                                    Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 13, 2014
                                      Hi Alan

                                      Dug out the 'Pictorial History'. Appalling print quality --
                                      Czechoslovakia -- at the time and after 50 years very hard to see.

                                      That photo of Duson I cannot find in any other source nor online.

                                      By the wonders(?) of Google Street View you can see 1425 Leontine, New
                                      Orleans as it is now -- or recently anyway.

                                      Possible the photo was taken outside.

                                      Dave
                                    • Peter Reid

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 13, 2014
                                          Hi Dave, Laurel, and Anyone Else!

                                          You have commented wondering how active this Group has been lately, and are correct in noting little posting in the last months.

                                          I have never been a strong participant here, and have noted in the past that others have been MUCH more knowledgeable than I in most of the topics brought up.  I confess to being more of a looker and lurker than a post-er, but have really enjoyed learning a lot about some great early Jazz Music here.

                                          I figured I ought to post something now, though, to let you and any others that there is some breathing going on among the bushes around here.  :)  I have been involved in a number of things lately, and thus not on line much since maybe early March.  I am hoping to get caught up and back into at least an occasional contribution to this group soon.

                                          I do hope others will get active here again, too.

                                          Two cents from
                                          Bob Blackard

                                          --  another rainy and cool day in New England  --

                                          On Friday, June 13, 2014 10:09 AM, "john.bartlett@... [RedHotJazz]" <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                          Here is a bio for Frank Dusen -

                                          Frankie Dusen Jr.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 13, 2014
                                            Many thanks John for the census details.

                                            No doubt at all that Duson is correct spelling for it also appears as
                                            such on the photo in 'Pictorial History' seemingly taken to display his
                                            automobile which is centre and beside which a nattily dressed Duson and,
                                            I assume, his son stand.

                                            Does this suggest he was pretty affluent by black N.O. standards ?

                                            Anybody know another source for this photo stated to be 'probably 1923'?

                                            Letters from Duson and other material can be read folder 5 :-

                                            http://specialcollections.tulane.edu/archon/?p=collections/findingaid&id=95&rootcontentid=3651#id3824

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 13, 2014

                                              Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 4:33 PM

                                              Hi Dave, Laurel, and Anyone Else!

                                              You have commented wondering how active this Group has been lately, and are correct in noting little posting in the last months.

                                              I have never been a strong participant here, and have noted in the past that others have been MUCH more knowledgeable than I in most of the topics brought up.  I confess to being more of a looker and lurker than a post-er, but have really enjoyed learning a lot about some great early Jazz Music here.

                                              I figured I ought to post something now, though, to let you and any others that there is some breathing going on among the bushes around here.  :)  I have been involved in a number of things lately, and thus not on line much since maybe early March.  I am hoping to get caught up and back into at least an occasional contribution to this group soon.

                                              I do hope others will get active here again, too.

                                              Same here ! Someone suggested I should launch new topics from time to time, but what is happening just now is much more promising than any artficial survival operation. We are exactly 892 subscribers today, most of whom never posted... some have been here for ten years, and ramained faithful to the “email” option, I guess, to have the feeling they are “part of it” but we are a majority – even myself as the founder/owner of this group – who are mostly here for learning.
                                              I have just made a change to the group’s status which, I think might give it a kick, setting the normal status to “unmoderated”. Beause it matches the normal status of all active members, because it has always been a real chore to individually “un-moderate” new subscrbers, and because neither Yahoo nor myself can cope with such a sign of good health as floods of messages to “approve” in no time.
                                              This will not affect security, I think, since “indivdual” spammers have nearly disappeared (robots do that much better, and they have very little chance to be allowed in the group !) We’ll keep watching anyway.

                                              Patrice

                                            • John McCusker

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 13, 2014

                                                  Yep, rainy and cool in North Attleboro, Bob.   Where in NE are you?   We could be neighbors!

                                                  Ron L

[...]

                                                  image

                                                  Frankie Dusen Jr.

                                                  Frankie Dusen biography. A history of Jazz before 1930. This site contains over 3000 songs from this era in Real Audio 3 format, as well as hundreds of biographi...

                                                  Preview by Yahoo

                                                • alan504450
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 13, 2014
                                                    Exchange of information is good, whether it is frequent or not. It is good to know that there is such a group for fans of red hot jazz &c.
                                                    TTFN - 007

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 16, 2014
                                                      Hi Patrice!

                                                      I agree, but would eagerly support any input which gets a pulse pumping.  :)

                                                      Two cents from
                                                      Bob Blackard

                                                      --  a beautiful late spring day in southern New England  --

                                                      Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 4:33 PM

                                                      > Hi Dave, Laurel, and Anyone Else!

                                                      You have commented wondering how active this Group has been lately, and are correct in noting little posting in the last months.

                                                      I have never been a strong participant here, and have noted in the past that others have been MUCH more knowledgeable than I in most of the topics brought up.  I confess to being more of a looker and lurker than a post-er, but
                                                      > have really enjoyed learning a lot about some great early Jazz Music
                                                      here.

                                                      I figured I ought to post something now, though, to let you and any others that there is some breathing going on among the bushes around here.  :)  I have been involved in a number of things lately, and thus not on line much since
                                                      > maybe early March.  I am hoping to get caught up and back into at
                                                      least an occasional contribution to this group soon.

                                                      I do hope others will get active here again, too.

                                                      Same here ! Someone suggested I should launch new topics from time to time, but what is happening just now is much more promising than any artficial survival operation. We are exactly 892 subscribers today, most of whom never posted... some have been here for ten years, and remained faithful to the “email” option, I guess, to have the feeling they are “part of it” ; but we are a majority who are mostly here for learning – even yours truly, as the founder and owner.
                                                      I have just made a change to the group’s default features, removing the moderation of new members. Beause a lot of those who never posted have been “new’'” for years, because it has always been a chore to individually “un-moderate” every active subscriber, and because neither Yahoo nor myself can cope with such a sign of good health as floods of messages to “approve” in no time. Not forgetting the long hours when the group is unattended because we also need to sleep.

                                                      This will not affect security, I think, since “individual” spammers have completely vanished from the Web nowadays (robots do that much better, and they have very little chance to be allowed in !) We’ll keep watching anyway, with our... frying pans (not everyone can properly handle a rolling pin).

                                                      It seems that in spite of the “no attachment” rule, Yahoo now allows pictures in our posts (with the “rich text” option) ! I trust they know what they are doing, and no harmful code can reach us this way (it is “their” HTML code, after all, not the sender’s). I have also seen they added an ugly banner on top of the group’s page, I am no addict to the “Web features” but if somone can think of a wiiiiiide, topic-related pic to replace this one, please let me know off-list.

                                                      Patrice

                                                    • Laurel James
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 20, 2014
                                                        I am going home to LA for a month and a half. My mother is 92 and loves to talk about her Dad's band...if you wish to call to take note of the history she was part of I can give you the number and you and she can have a chinwag about William Perry..... Just a thought. Thanks, Laurel James

                                                        To: redhotjazz@yahoogroups.com, redhotjazz-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                                        Cc: l.james@...
                                                        Date: Monday, June 2, 2014, 8:56 AM