Re: [RedHotJazz] Awful Trip....................Phil Warrington

  • Peter Reid
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
      Hi John,
      I realise this but wouldn't you think a scammer would try other methods than through a group? I suppose
      anything is worth a try once.

      Peter L

      this is a well known email takeover virus, or whatever they’re called – it shows up in your inbox looking like it’s from someone you know.

      Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:57 AM
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Awful Trip....................Phil Warrington

      Is this guy for real? As they say in Australia "Come in spinner".
      Jazz content "Brother Can You Spare A Dime?"

      Peter L

      On 9/26/2013 3:35 PM, Phil Warrington wrote:

      Good Morning,

      Just hoping this email reaches you well, I'm sorry for this emergency and for not informing you about my  urgent trip to Manila Philippines, but I just have to let you know my present predicament. Everything was  fine until I was attacked on my way back to the hotel, I wasn't hurt but I lost my money, bank cards, mobile  phone and my bag in the course of this attack. I immediately contacted my bank in other to block my cards  and also made a report at the nearest police station. I'm physically ok and fine but I'm urgently in need of  some money to pay for my hotel bills and my flight ticket home, will pay back as soon as i get back home.Kindly let me know if you would be able to help me out so I can forward you the details required for a wire  transfer via the western union

      Phil

    Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
      Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:13 PM

      > this is a well known email takeover virus, or whatever they’re called – it shows up in your inbox looking like it’s from someone you know.

      Quite so, and it also appeared on the group’s page.This comes from BT again, but I am actually worried when I see that it is possible to break the server’s “fences” by faking an address. Deleted, of course, as well as some attemp to forward a copy, but this is all I can do AFAIK.

      Patrice
    • Ron L'Herault
      Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013

        It's a hoax.  His email has been compromised.

        Ron L

        Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
          I believe that this guy was stuck in Madrid a couple of years ago....., and again
          he is relying on his old friends to help him out.
          Will he ever learn to keep his valuables in the hotel safe?

          Hans van der Vink

          To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
          From: lherault@...
          Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:08:12 -0400

          Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2013
            I'm sorry this email was sent to the group. You're quite right - my email account was hacked into. Most people realised this straight away. BT have (unusually?) been helpful and restored my account. I'm waiting now for them to restore my address book. Now I'm here though, I'll just say that I took up lots of the advice (as to the most important music I should seek out to educate and entertain my newly jazz tuned ears) that I was given last year when I first joined the group, and - thanks to RedHotJazz - have been and am enjoying some wonderful music!