Hal Le Roy

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2013
      Does anybody know the band playing "Dinah" on this clip? Was it a studio
      band?
      Not a bad hoofer as well.
      Peter L
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=farmVb40c7s
    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2013
        Below is the link to the complete Vitaphone clip that contains Hal's tap dance solo starting at 6:48. Seems that this was a Brooklyn Vitaphone studio recording done 1931 when Hal was only 18 years old. It is most plausible that the band was a Vitaphone studio band. (Seems to me that the sound is better in the full clip.)

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJoXy0sbVTo

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2013
          The dancer is John Leroy Schotte, born 1912. His biggest problem
          was his baby face. Just too youthful looking.

          I suspect he's with a studio orchestra. I have 20 recordings of the
          period for "Dinah" and none sound like the group in question
          although they are quite professional.

          Jim