Re: [RedHotJazz] Armstrong's 1929 Mahogany Hall Stomp - different speeds

    Message 1 of 21 , May 14, 2013
      For this -- and all vintage material -- seek out JRT Davies
      transcriptions. Speed correction is an art, not a science, especially as
      jazz musicians, especially at that time, did not play in tune.

      JRT had a musician's ear and his own patent technology, as we have
      previously discussed, for pitch correction.

      Generally his transcriptions of vintage material cannot be bettered,
      certainly not with intrusive digital technology which can produce
      unmusical travesties.

      Lossy MP3s offered online are also antithetical to real audio quality.

      Dave
    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 2 of 21 , May 14, 2013
        jrt davies was indeed the speeds man

        his own writings on speeds topics ought to be available for reference.
        as I recall, he was very informative even when hotly challenged.
        His work is to be recommended - and considered

        Robert R. Calder

        Message 3 of 21 , May 14, 2013
          Hello Robert

          JRT's website is, I regret, lost and gone.

          But Nick Dellow's excellent interview is still available at

          http://www.vjm.biz/articles9.htm

          All Best

          Dave
        • Andrew Homzy
          Message 4 of 21 , May 29, 2013
            We've had interesting discussions regarding re-creations of KOCJB and ODJB - but what about NORK?

            Besides Art Hodes' "Friars Inn Revisited", are there other tributes or re-creations?

            Cheers,

            Andrew
          • ALAN BOND
            Message 5 of 21 , May 30, 2013
              Just last year, Andy Schumm & Keith Nichols organised as session to re-create the work of the Halfway House Orchestra at the Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party and some video of this is on Youtube.
              TTFN - 007

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 21 , May 31, 2013
                Wingy Manone recorded in 1934 with Sidney Arodin & Santo Pecora (I think it was) under the name of the NORKs. The sides recorded certainly do not represent a recreation but may be seen as a tribute. Perhaps.

                Robert Greenwood.

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Hello all

                  I hate to use such a procedure, but I need to let you know that I have just deleted a message coming from Alan Bond’s account, publicly displaying the email addresses of several recipients.
                  Be this intentional or not, it is not the first incident of the kind. A few months ago I had to suppress a couple of spam messages (porn ads, IIRC) sent to the group from this account. I tried to get in touch with Alan (twice), but neve received any reply.

                  I hope the problem will be solved when, as stated in the message, BT has “abolished” (?) Alan’s email address... but I have no guarantee that this was not another fake, so I suggest email subscribers who may have received it to be careful (and please, never display lists of private addresses on a public website, use the CCi line if you really need to cross-post anything).

                  Best wishes, and thanks to those who keep this group somewhat alive.

                • ALAN BOND
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
                    Hi Folks,
                                     Sorry about that but I have been trying to get my address book sorted before this Email address dies the death on 16th Sept.
                    TTFN - 007

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
                      What's happened with Alan's e-mail account, and my own, is that British Telecom have until now offered a free webmail account, tied in with the e-mail for their own customers. Now you have to become one of their customers if you want to hang on to your mail account as hitherto, with the archive of past e-mails, either a full customer or one who pays modestly for an e-mail service. I'm stuck paying for mine, at least for the time being.
                      It is annoying that the notification of this was not accompanied by a warning that people with the same sort of account were liable to be spammed with fake messages advising about the change. At least the service is good enough to let subscribers discover that some supposed official mails come from Polish addresses, or even aol accounts (a free service which remains free).
                      I shouldn't imagine anybody else will get mails associated with this changeover.
                      I remember a few years ago there was a news story about a spamming centre closed down, and immediately after that spam reduced drastically. The volume does seem to have been increasing again more recently, though I have never had any experience like that of working within a German university, before the responsible parties realised they needed to block mails which went to absolutely everybody.
                      The current changeover is just a business wrinkle -- and I thought it worth while reassuring other list members. Since I am not changing my account I am not inconvenienced as Alan is.

                      all the best,
                      Robert R. Calder