Re: [RedHotJazz] Walt Roesner and the Capitolians - 1928 soundie

  • Mike Amato
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
      That single bow hair bowing technique on the violin seems to be a variation of the technique that Joe Venuti used for his chord-melody solos.  But Joe used the entirety of bow, placing the instrument between the horsehair and the bow stick.  I remember Chauncey Morehouse telling me about that and how impressed he was with that.  And no wonder!

      Mike Amato

      Bedford Banjo Shop

      114 S. Juliana Street

      Bedford, PA 15522

      (814) 623-2187

      http://www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

      On 2013-03-25, at 1:48 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

      > Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?

      > Re: Invisible violin solo:

      > He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a

      > cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.

      > I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and

      > the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor

      > On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:

      > > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians

      > > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin

      > > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.

      > > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would

      > > like to hear from you...

      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

      > --

      > Andrew Taylor, MLS

      > Associate Curator, Visual Resources

      > Department of Art History, Rice University

      > 713-348-4836

      To stop receiving mail from this group, send blank email to:

    • David Weiner
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
        Here's the complete number -

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLmfx_d4m8