Re: [RedHotJazz] Walt Roesner and the Capitolians - 1928 soundie

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25 8:50 PM
      The violin technique was used by Gypsy musicians - check out the film Latcho Drom for an emotionally powerful use of this technique.

      Also:

      ROMANIAN FIDDLE TECHNIQUES
      The primas takes the main melody, enhancing it with chromatic runs, double stops, arpeggios, pizzicato, harmonics and the like- all performance tricks which could be improvised on the spot to enhance the performance. He conducts the rest of the band with an imperious nod of the head, a scowl or a flourish of the bow, directing dramatic changes of tempo and mood. One of the most impressive and characteristic techniques of the Romanian fiddler is the use of a single bow hair. The hair, well rosined, is tied in a loop around the G string. Instead of holding the bow, the right hand slowly pulls the hair, producing an eerie rasping sound. You can hear this to good effect on the opening track (Dance of the firemen) of Taraf de Haiduks� album Band of Gypsies; in the famous 1992 documentary film Lacho Drom, and in a magnificent scene in the film Train de Vie, where a duel takes place between a gypsy and a klezmer band.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy -

      180 Pirates Lane - Nanaimo, BC
      V9R 6R1 CANADA

      Phone: 250-667-0238

      On 2013-03-25, at 1:48 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

      > Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?
      >
      > Re: Invisible violin solo:
      >
      > He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a
      > cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.
      >
      > I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and
      > the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor
      >
      > On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
      > >
      > > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians
      > > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin
      > > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.
      > >
      > > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would
      > > like to hear from you...
      > >
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

      > --
      > Andrew Taylor, MLS
      > Associate Curator, Visual Resources
      > Department of Art History, Rice University
      > 713-348-4836

    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27 6:40 PM
        Thanks for the info - any Youtube videos to watch of this technique?

        Now, what about the washboard/parchment/wall paper solo?

        ________________________________

        On 2013-03-25, at 1:48 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

        > Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?
        >
        > Re: Invisible violin solo:
        >
        > He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a
        > cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.
        >
        > I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and
        > the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor
        >
        > On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
        > >
        > > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians
        > > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin
        > > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.
        > >
        > > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would
        > > like to hear from you...
        > >
        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

        > --
        > Andrew Taylor, MLS
        > Associate Curator, Visual Resources
        > Department of Art History, Rice University
        > 713-348-4836

      • Mike Amato
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28 4:41 AM
          That single bow hair bowing technique on the violin seems to be a variation of the technique that Joe Venuti used for his chord-melody solos.  But Joe used the entirety of bow, placing the instrument between the horsehair and the bow stick.  I remember Chauncey Morehouse telling me about that and how impressed he was with that.  And no wonder!

          Mike Amato

          Bedford Banjo Shop

          114 S. Juliana Street

          Bedford, PA 15522

          (814) 623-2187

          http://www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

          On 2013-03-25, at 1:48 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

          > Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?

          > Re: Invisible violin solo:

          > He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a

          > cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.

          > I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and

          > the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor

          > On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:

          > > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians

          > > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin

          > > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.

          > > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would

          > > like to hear from you...

          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

          > --

          > Andrew Taylor, MLS

          > Associate Curator, Visual Resources

          > Department of Art History, Rice University

          > 713-348-4836

          To stop receiving mail from this group, send blank email to:

        • David Weiner
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28 7:31 AM
            Here's the complete number -

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLmfx_d4m8