Re: Dawkin's Famous Coloured Jazz Band

  • howardrye
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 20, 2013
      I have already been in direct touch with the enquirer but Dawkins is almost certainly the West Indian bandleader and drummer more commonly known under the name Oscar Logan, whose full real name was Oscar Newton Logan Dawkins. He was recalled by Leslie Thompson, who gives the impression he was secretive about his ancestry and no source located gives a clue to where he came from, but the Trinidadian bandleader Al Jennings was a witness at his wedding to a lady from Nottingham. They appear to have moved from London to Nottingham when war broke out and Oscar died there in 1942 at the age of 46 having carved a sufficient local reputation for his doings to be on the front page of the Nottingham Evening Post.