Walt Roesner and the Capitolians - 1928 soundie

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
      Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment"  among other performances.

      If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would like to hear from you...

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

    • Andrew Taylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
        Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?

        Re: Invisible violin solo:

        He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a
        cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.

        I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and
        the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor

        On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:

        > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians
        > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin
        > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.
        >
        > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would
        > like to hear from you...
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

        Andrew Taylor, MLS
        Associate Curator, Visual Resources
        713-348-4836

      • Andrew Homzy
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
          The violin technique was used by Gypsy musicians - check out the film Latcho Drom for an emotionally powerful use of this technique.

          Also:

          ROMANIAN FIDDLE TECHNIQUES
          The primas takes the main melody, enhancing it with chromatic runs, double stops, arpeggios, pizzicato, harmonics and the like- all performance tricks which could be improvised on the spot to enhance the performance. He conducts the rest of the band with an imperious nod of the head, a scowl or a flourish of the bow, directing dramatic changes of tempo and mood. One of the most impressive and characteristic techniques of the Romanian fiddler is the use of a single bow hair. The hair, well rosined, is tied in a loop around the G string. Instead of holding the bow, the right hand slowly pulls the hair, producing an eerie rasping sound. You can hear this to good effect on the opening track (Dance of the firemen) of Taraf de Haiduks� album Band of Gypsies; in the famous 1992 documentary film Lacho Drom, and in a magnificent scene in the film Train de Vie, where a duel takes place between a gypsy and a klezmer band.

          Cheers,

          Andrew Homzy -

          180 Pirates Lane - Nanaimo, BC
          V9R 6R1 CANADA

          Phone: 250-667-0238

          On 2013-03-25, at 1:48 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

          > Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?
          >
          > Re: Invisible violin solo:
          >
          > He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a
          > cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.
          >
          > I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and
          > the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor
          >
          > On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
          > >
          > > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians
          > > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin
          > > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.
          > >
          > > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would
          > > like to hear from you...
          > >
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

          > --
          > Andrew Taylor, MLS
          > Associate Curator, Visual Resources
          > Department of Art History, Rice University
          > 713-348-4836

        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
            Thanks for the info - any Youtube videos to watch of this technique?

            Now, what about the washboard/parchment/wall paper solo?

            ________________________________

            On 2013-03-25, at 1:48 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

            > Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?
            >
            > Re: Invisible violin solo:
            >
            > He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a
            > cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.
            >
            > I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and
            > the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor
            >
            > On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
            > >
            > > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians
            > > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin
            > > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.
            > >
            > > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would
            > > like to hear from you...
            > >
            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

            > --
            > Andrew Taylor, MLS
            > Associate Curator, Visual Resources
            > Department of Art History, Rice University
            > 713-348-4836

          • Mike Amato
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
              That single bow hair bowing technique on the violin seems to be a variation of the technique that Joe Venuti used for his chord-melody solos.  But Joe used the entirety of bow, placing the instrument between the horsehair and the bow stick.  I remember Chauncey Morehouse telling me about that and how impressed he was with that.  And no wonder!

              Mike Amato

              Bedford Banjo Shop

              114 S. Juliana Street

              Bedford, PA 15522

              (814) 623-2187

              http://www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

              On 2013-03-25, at 1:48 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

              > Fantastic! From the YouTube comments - is this confirmed?

              > Re: Invisible violin solo:

              > He did it with one cut-off hair from his bow, tied in a

              > cricle? and weaved between the strings of the violin.

              > I wondered if he was just doing it all with his right-hand fingers and

              > the left hand was just pantomime. - Andrew Taylor

              > On 3/18/2013 7:34 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:

              > > Very interesting 1928 New York soundie with many interesting musicians

              > > famous (and unknown). At 2 min we are treated to an invisible violin

              > > solo and at 4:30 to a drum solo on "parchment" among other performances.

              > > If you can identify some more of the 27(?) musicians, Mr. Cantor would

              > > like to hear from you...

              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlFTqFF07I

              > --

              > Andrew Taylor, MLS

              > Associate Curator, Visual Resources

              > Department of Art History, Rice University

              > 713-348-4836

              To stop receiving mail from this group, send blank email to:

            • David Weiner
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
                Here's the complete number -

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLmfx_d4m8