Re: [RedHotJazz] Dawkin's Famous Coloured Jazz Band

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
      Yeah, but it wasn't like that in 1919 or 1939, or even 1959. I'm showing my
      age, perhaps. Spell-checkers are imposing American spelling on the British,
      but my parents book-shelves were full of stuff about the war referring to a
      non-existent place called Pearl Harbour. My father was a newspaperman and
      his paper's rigid policy was that no American spelling should ever appear
      anywhere, even in a quotation.

    • steve
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2013
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Richard Havers <rhavers1@...> wrote:

        > Dear All
        >
        > Looking for some information on Dawkin's Famous Coloured Jazz Band. Were they American?
        >
        > I have found an advert on 14 March 1919 that they were playing jazz "for the first time in Scotland" on 24 March and they were "direct from London." This, of course, is around the same time as the Original Dixieland Jazz Band arrived in Britain.
        >
        > It's in connection with a book I am writing on Verve Records. Trust me there's a connection. . .
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Richard

      • howardrye
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 20, 2013
          I have already been in direct touch with the enquirer but Dawkins is almost certainly the West Indian bandleader and drummer more commonly known under the name Oscar Logan, whose full real name was Oscar Newton Logan Dawkins. He was recalled by Leslie Thompson, who gives the impression he was secretive about his ancestry and no source located gives a clue to where he came from, but the Trinidadian bandleader Al Jennings was a witness at his wedding to a lady from Nottingham. They appear to have moved from London to Nottingham when war broke out and Oscar died there in 1942 at the age of 46 having carved a sufficient local reputation for his doings to be on the front page of the Nottingham Evening Post.