Re: [RedHotJazz] Dawkin's Famous Coloured Jazz Band

  • Mike Amato
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi Richard,
      If the spelling you're using is correct, then that might give a clue.  "Coloured" is the Britsih spelling.  An American band would have used "colored".
      Mike Amato

      Bedford Banjo Shop

      114 S. Juliana Street

      Bedford, PA 15522

      (814) 623-2187

      http://www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hi Mike

        Thanks for coming back. The advert was in The Scotsman newspaper so I think they possibly altered the spelling to be the British way even if Dawkins and Co came from America. I have trawled everywhere and can find nothing about them.

        Cheers

        Richard

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
          This is actually before the ODJB arrived, at Liverpool on 1 April 1919.
          They¹ve never turned up in searches of the trade press.

          Fascinating.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
            Should have added I agree that it is inconceivably unlikely that any British
            publication would have accepted an American spelling in an advertisement in
            1919, and not much more likely now. British copywriters even correct
            American place names like Pearl Harbor to an imaginary British version.

            on 02/03/2013 16:56, Richard Havers at rhavers1@... wrote:

            > Hi Mike
            >
            > Thanks for coming back. The advert was in The Scotsman newspaper so I think
            > they possibly altered the spelling to be the British way even if Dawkins and
            > Co came from America. I have trawled everywhere and can find nothing about
            > them.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Richard
            >
            > On 2 Mar 2013, at 16:35, Mike Amato vintagetenor@...
            > <mailto:vintagetenor%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
            >
            >> > Hi Richard,
            >> > If the spelling you're using is correct, then that might give a clue.
            >> "Coloured" is the Britsih spelling. An American band would have used
            >> "colored".
            >> > Mike Amato
            >> >
            >> > Bedford Banjo Shop
            >> >
            >> > 114 S. Juliana Street
            >> >
            >> > Bedford, PA 15522
            >> >
            >> > (814) 623-2187
            >> >
            >> > http://www.bedfordbanjoshop.com
            >> >
            >> > --- On Sat, 3/2/13, Richard Havers rhavers1@...
            >> <mailto:rhavers1%40mac.com> > wrote:
            >> >
            >> > From: Richard Havers rhavers1@... <mailto:rhavers1%40mac.com> >
            >> > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Dawkin's Famous Coloured Jazz Band
            >> > To: "red hot jazz" RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
            >> <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> >
            >> > Date: Saturday, March 2, 2013, 9:12 AM
            >> >

            >> > Dear All
            >> >
            >> > Looking for some information on Dawkin's Famous Coloured Jazz Band. Were
            >> they American?
            >> >
            >> > I have found an advert on 14 March 1919 that they were playing jazz "for
            >> the first time in Scotland" on 24 March and they were "direct from London."
            >> This, of course, is around the same time as the Original Dixieland Jazz Band
            >> arrived in Britain.
            >> >
            >> > It's in connection with a book I am writing on Verve Records. Trust me
            >> there's a connection. . .
            >> >
            >> > Thanks
            >> >
            >> > Richard

          • lastofthebarons
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
              Not really. Sub-editors are so ignorant and ill educated, they allow any sort of mispelling to go uncorrected, so they are unlikely to alter Pearl Harbor. Also, since most of the programmes with spell-checkers originate in the USA and they and the software maintenance staff don't realise they can alter the language to British English, even if they know there is a difference. Also if they know they can, they don't know how. The number of spelling mistakes and poor grammar in newsprint and elsewhere beggars the imagination.

              I'm glad I was born when I was.

              Rant over,

              Marc

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
                Yeah, but it wasn't like that in 1919 or 1939, or even 1959. I'm showing my
                age, perhaps. Spell-checkers are imposing American spelling on the British,
                but my parents book-shelves were full of stuff about the war referring to a
                non-existent place called Pearl Harbour. My father was a newspaperman and
                his paper's rigid policy was that no American spelling should ever appear
                anywhere, even in a quotation.

              • steve
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 12, 2013
                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Richard Havers <rhavers1@...> wrote:

                  > Dear All
                  >
                  > Looking for some information on Dawkin's Famous Coloured Jazz Band. Were they American?
                  >
                  > I have found an advert on 14 March 1919 that they were playing jazz "for the first time in Scotland" on 24 March and they were "direct from London." This, of course, is around the same time as the Original Dixieland Jazz Band arrived in Britain.
                  >
                  > It's in connection with a book I am writing on Verve Records. Trust me there's a connection. . .
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Richard

                • howardrye
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 20, 2013
                    I have already been in direct touch with the enquirer but Dawkins is almost certainly the West Indian bandleader and drummer more commonly known under the name Oscar Logan, whose full real name was Oscar Newton Logan Dawkins. He was recalled by Leslie Thompson, who gives the impression he was secretive about his ancestry and no source located gives a clue to where he came from, but the Trinidadian bandleader Al Jennings was a witness at his wedding to a lady from Nottingham. They appear to have moved from London to Nottingham when war broke out and Oscar died there in 1942 at the age of 46 having carved a sufficient local reputation for his doings to be on the front page of the Nottingham Evening Post.