Just Pretending New Orleans 1928

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbSxOT1R5qs&list=UU8Xj_3Djn97bzsjGwKyOBqw&index=1%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0 (Music starts at 1:22)

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ6smCv03i0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0 (Original recording from 1928)

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbdz_PTkoU%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0 (Another "take" so that u can appreciate the greatness of this band and how well they re-create the jazz scene of NO 1928).

    • Andrew Taylor
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 21, 2013
        Hi all,

        Just thought I'd mention that the Red Hot Jazz Archive webpage is
        currently down.

        Regards, Andrew Taylor

        --
        Andrew Taylor, MLS
        Associate Curator, Visual Resources
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 21, 2013
          Sorry, the site's back up now.

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 22, 2013
            Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:07 PM
            Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Red Hot Jazz Archive down

            ... and apparently down again today. This is very strange, neither the welcome page nor any of the pages which appear on Google can be accessed at the moment, but if I start a song from my local copy of the site (stored on my computer), it works. Meaning that the server itself – where all the audio files are stored – keeps working, and “serving” part of what Scott has put online. Since this is a completely static website (no php, no database, only plain, hardcoded links) I have no idea of what is happening, it *should* work, unless someone has been intendedly “breaking” the redirection from the URL to the server (supposed to keep working until December 2016... no idea who possibly renewed it !).

            Most people know that a bunch of us spent a lot of time, last year, trying to figure out some kind of “alternative” or “complementary” website – to little avail, because several technical and legal problems could not be solved.
            I think that the time has come to “open” the question to all subscribers of the RHJ group : What shall we do ? Now, and in the long run ?

            The options I am thinking of are the following :

            - giving up (so that sooner or later, there won’t be any RHJA left)
            - “cloning” the site as is, and serving it from another URL (easy, but that would mean “stealing” Scott’s creation, plus a huge amount of work to maintain/improve anything later on)
            - creating a different, modern structure from scratch, and gradually adding freshly redesigned pages (this would require a team, and a clear strategy)

            Any suggestions ?

            Patrice
          • bsdfl
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 22, 2013
              Hello All,

              Patrice, thank you for bringing up the question of what to do now.

              I have not been active in this group but I'm quite willing to put time and effort into saving the RHJA.

              I would like to know if anyone has information regarding why it seems to have been abandoned. Are there copyright issues? Can the original builder be contacted and if not is there really an issue regarding copying the site whole and then working on it?

              Cheers,

              Ric Giorgi

              -------
              Ricardo Giorgi
              Conductor
              Resa's Pieces Strings

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 22, 2013
                Hi Patrice,

                Forgive a long-winded response, I'm something of an enthusiast for what they are calling "Digital Humanities" in Higher Ed these days -  for stuff like this "New Media Publishing" probably makes more sense.

                Every university is trying to stake their claim to the digital frontier these days - being a populist/milk-toast rebel I prefer informal collectives like this.
                Scott's site (a one-man job?) proves that a very useful resource doesn't have to be under the mantle of an institution.

                A while back I posted a proposal to create a database-driven version of Scott's site. I (and others I'm sure) could help set up a demo database based on Scott's material.  We could just copy/regenerate the version of Scott's website that exists now in a database format, no need to publish it to the web right away.

                A preliminary "port" of his site would be a technical rather than a scholarly exercise, just converting data that already exists in an outdated web design.  Various experts/enthusiasts could worry about improving or adding information later, as well as address copyright issues.

                With new  tools like Google Docs, crowd-sourcing/collaboration is a real option, if one that might get complicated/contentious.

                I understand that many jazz experts might not be that familiar with new-fangled tools (sic), but that's what interfaces are good for, keeping things easily accessible to everyone.

                Having the Red Hot Jazz Archive on a database platform would enable all sorts of fun applications (geolocation maps for clubs and recording studios, a timeline that makes sense (right now RHJA is kind of all over the place from a time/space perspective).  People are developing fancy "data visualization" tools all the time.

                Just things to consider,

                Andrew Taylor

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 22, 2013
                  Hi Patrice, new subject title. - Andrew
                  On 11/22/2013 12:44 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:
                  Hi Patrice,

                  Forgive a long-winded response, I'm something of an enthusiast for what they are calling "Digital Humanities" in Higher Ed these days -  for stuff like this "New Media Publishing" probably makes more sense.

                  Every university is trying to stake their claim to the digital frontier these days - being a populist/milk-toast rebel I prefer informal collectives like this.
                  Scott's site (a one-man job?) proves that a very useful resource doesn't have to be under the mantle of an institution.

                  A while back I posted a proposal to create a database-driven version of Scott's site. I (and others I'm sure) could help set up a demo database based on Scott's material.  We could just copy/regenerate the version of Scott's website that exists now in a database format, no need to publish it to the web right away.  [the benefit of just transferring it without too much analysis is that it would give us something to look at and edit in a tabular format.]

                  A preliminary "port" of his site would be a technical rather than a scholarly exercise, just converting data that already exists in an outdated web design.  Various experts/enthusiasts could worry about improving or adding information later, as well as address copyright issues.

                  With new  tools like Google Docs, crowd-sourcing/collaboration is a real option, if one that might get complicated/contentious.

                  I understand that many jazz experts might not be that familiar with new-fangled tools (sic), but that's what user interfaces are good for, keeping things easily accessible to everyone.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 23, 2013
                    Patrice,
                    Cloning is an option, and would it be "stealing" Scott's creation. Haven't you and others been trying
                    for what seems like years to contact him, to no avail. Surely if he was worried about the RHJA he would
                    have been in touch, one way or another, unless he is seriously incapacitated or worse.
                    Peter

                    On 11/23/2013 4:06 AM, Patrice Champarou wrote:

[...]

                  • alan504450
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 23, 2013
                      Hi Folks,
                                       RHJA is still working for me. I accessed it a few minutes ago and it was working fine.
                      TTFN - 007

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 23, 2013

                        Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:50 AM

                        Hi Folks,
                                         RHJA is still working for me. I accessed it a few minutes ago and it was working fine.
                        TTFN - 007

                        Strange things are happening... I opened one page a few minutes ago, and instead of the Realplayer, the tune I clicked on requested... the VLC player !
                        At this very minute, no link seems to work any longer... and I cannot even access the welcome page with Firefox, Chrome, or Opera (only I.E. takes me to the address)
                        Re: Peter, it is not only a matter of respect for Scott’s work, but for anyone who is curretly hosting the site (and was probably granted the right to do so).
                        Be it only for technical reasons...  if I fancied hosting a mirror of the site at, say, http://earlyjazz.org (which I bought long ago in case it would become useful some day)
                        every single page would soon appear as a “competing” one on Google – which “is not done” IMO.

                        The first thing I plan to do is make another copy of the site to see if there have been any changes, trying to understand if “someone" is currently “doing something” about it ! And maybe attempt once again to get in touch with that “someone”... but below is all the info I could get :

                        Domain Name: REDHOTJAZZ.COM
                        Registry Domain ID:
                        Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
                        Registrar URL: http//www.networksolutions.com/en_US/
                        Updated Date: 2011-12-14
                        Creation Date: 1998-12-11
                        Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-12-10
                        Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
                        Registrar IANA ID: 2
                        Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@...
                        Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 1-800-333-7680
                        Reseller:
                        Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
                        Registry Registrant ID:
                        Registrant Name: The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                        Registrant Organization: The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                        Registrant Street: ATTN insert domain name here care of Network Solutions PO Box 459
                        Registrant City: Drums
                        Registrant State: PA
                        Registrant Postal Code: 18222
                        Registrant Country: US
                        Registrant Phone: 570-708-8780
                        Registrant Phone Ext:
                        Registrant Fax:
                        Registrant Email:
                        Registry Admin ID:
                        Admin Name: Helffrich, Alan
                        Admin Organization: TechNoir
                        Admin Street: ATTN insert domain name here care of Network Solutions PO Box 459
                        Admin City: Drums
                        Admin State: PA
                        Admin Postal Code: 18222
                        Admin Country: US
                        Admin Phone: 570-708-8780
                        Admin Phone Ext:
                        Admin Fax:
                        Admin Email: gn8rn32e5ec@...
                        Registry Tech ID:
                        Tech Name: Helffrich, Alan
                        Tech Organization: TechNoir
                        Tech Street: ATTN insert domain name here care of Network Solutions PO Box 459
                        Tech City: Drums
                        Tech State: PA
                        Tech Postal Code: 18222
                        Tech Country: US
                        Tech Phone: 570-708-8780
                        Tech Phone Ext:
                        Tech Fax:
                        Tech Email: gn8rn32e5ec@...
                        Name Server: DNS4.TECHNOIR.NET
                        Name Server: NS.WEINBERG.NET
                        DNSSEC:
                        URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
                        >>> Last update of whois database: Sat,
                        23 Nov 2013 09:17:35 UTC <<<

                      • Mordechai Litzman
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 23, 2013
                          I believe that the main concern Scott had was the change in the music copyright laws which were extended much longer than in the past.

                          My impression was that he did not want legal troubles and did not see a way out. The other concern was that the platform which the RHJA was built on was outdated.

                          I am under the impression that he lives in California and could be located.

                          Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:50 AM

                            Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:50 AM

> [...]

                            Admin Phone Ext:
                            Admin Fax:
                            Admin Email: gn8rn32e5ec@...
                            Registry Tech ID:
                            Tech Name: Helffrich, Alan
                            Tech Organization: TechNoir
                            Tech Street: ATTN insert domain name here care of Network Solutions PO Box 459
                            Tech City: Drums
                            Tech State: PA
                            Tech Postal Code: 18222
                            Tech Country: US
                            Tech Phone: 570-708-8780
                            Tech Phone Ext:
                            Tech Fax:
                            Tech Email: gn8rn32e5ec@...
                            Name Server: DNS4.TECHNOIR.NET
                            Name Server: NS.WEINBERG.NET
                            DNSSEC:
                            URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
                            >>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 09:17:35 UTC <<<

                          • Marcus Girvan

                              Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:50 AM

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 23, 2013
                                This is correct - anything out of copyright before 2013 remains out of copyright. The law only extends copyright on things which are already or still in copyright or have yet to be published. None of this would affect anything on RHJA.
                                TTFN - 007

                                Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:50 AM

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 25, 2013
                                  Hi all,
                                  Here's the US government on Fair Use:
                                  http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
                                  Here's an article saying the same kind of things regarding images: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

                                  I've been scanning some images from Rose & Souchon's awesome photo book New Orleans Jazz: A Family Album, and about the fact that you can't "piggy-back" on a copyright (I did a little research on that as it had been a while).

                                  I'm currently reading L. Gushee's Pioneers of Jazz: The Story of the Creole Band (2007), for which the author found and included a number of great old images from newspapers and the like.  Might reproduce one of the images he found if it feels like an okay thing to do.

                                  Use of out-of-copyright work reproduced in copyrighted work (my take):
                                  • Try and be fair
                                    i.e., if it doesn't feel like Fair Use, it ain't

                                  • Contact source creator
                                    "Dear Prof. [whoever] hope you don't mind that I want to use your work."
                                  • Just use a little - stay well under 10 percent of any one source or it's stealing

                                  • Attribution
                                    Say where you got it, what page and everything. The more info the better for everyone

                                  • Give a link to the source volume, protect the investment of the author

                                  • Find a way to say thanks, ("Rose & Souchon's awesome photo book New Orleans Jazz: A Family Album") - they did the work, I didn't

                                  Regards, Andrew

                                  --
                                  Andrew Taylor, MLS
                                  Associate Curator, Visual Resources
                                  713-348-4836
                                  "It's a tribute!" - Eddie Murphy on copying Richard Pryor's routines back in the day

                                  Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:50 AM

[...]

                                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)