Re: [RedHotJazz] Lucille Bogan & Charles Avery

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
      The wrong matrix number was simply an (obvious) typo in the 3rd edition
      (mine I¹m afraid, not spotted by our two eminent proof-readers). It is
      correct in the 2nd edition, as well as the 4th. Doesn¹t seem worth checking
      the 1st edition. (Be interested to know where else the ³EVERYWHERE² is
      because it is prima facie proof of uncritical copying, which is of course
      endemic in discography, but in this case mindless as the typo is so obvious.
      If only people copied my corrections as enthusiastically as they copy and
      castigate my typos. Sigh!)

      I¹ll check to see whether there is any file data on the pianist. The naming
      of Avery goes back to B&GR1. Jazz Directory has only a collective personnel
      for the Brunswicks and it looks as though Orin Blackstone didn¹t know about
      them.

      I think you will listen in vain for an alternative take on Roots RL317. They
      were working from tapes not 78s and simply and carelessly quoted the first
      matrix number they came to, 5347, rather than the correct 5547, or maybe
      it¹s just a typo, and they always really knew they were issuing 5547 (This
      was checked aurally long ago and there is a note to this effect in B&GR4)

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
        I should perhaps also have said that B&GR4 lists all the intervening
        matrices in its session note:
        C-5551/2 by Willie Harris
        C-5553-59 untraced at that point
        C-5560/61 by Freddie Nicholson (yet another typo has these as 5561/62, but
        that has been corrected in the amendment service, and is correct at
        Nickerson who is also given with accompaniment by Charels Avery.)

        I don¹t have Laird to hand so don¹t know whether he has traced C-5553-9, but
        no pretence is made that the Bogan¹s are from the same session or that they
        are not from the same session because in the absence of file information, no
        one actually knows, unless Laird has some file data which has not been
        available to other discographers. As far as B&GR is concerned, unless an
        exact date is given with the day of the week, recording dates are no more
        than educated guesses and must be interpreted by the reader on the basis of
        the evidence given.

        The naming of Avery for Nickerson also goes back to B&GR1. There is no
        personnel in Index to Jazz.

        on 26/01/2013 07:09, Uncle Dave at udtv@... wrote:

> [...]
        > Chicago late March 1930
        > C-5547- My Georgia Grind Br 7145
        > C-5548- Whiskey Selling WOman Br 7145
        > C-5549- They Ain't Walking No More Br 7163
        > C-5550- Dirty Treatin' Blues Br 7163
        > C-5562-A Sloppy Drunk Blues Br 7210, Ba 32390, Me M12484, Or 8122, Pe 198, Ro
        > 5122
        > C-6653-A Alley Boogie Br 7210, Ba 32390, Me M12484, Or 8122, Pe 198, Ro 5122
        >
        > Banner, Melotone, Oriole, Perfect, and Romeo issues as by Bessie Jackson.
        >
        > Acc. unknown, p.
        > Chicago c. mid-December 1930
        > C-6845- Crawlin' Lizard Blues Br 7193
        > C-6846- Struttin' My Stuff Br 7193
        > C-6847-A Black Angel Blues Br 7186, Ba 32389, Or 8121, Pe 197, Ro 5121
        > C-6848-A Tricks Ain't Walking No More Br 7186, Ba 32389, Or 8121, Pe 197, Ro
        > 5121
        > Banner, Melotone, Oriole, Perfect, and Romeo issues as by Bessie Jackson.

      • Uncle Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
          Thank you Bob and Howard for your comments, and I wanted to qualify that I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops here. Avery, of course, only has one surviving solo, "Dearborn Street Breakdown," but it's quite distinctive and I was lurking around in the accompaniments accredited to him out of interest and stumbled upon these Bogan sides that do not fit his style.

          Howard wrote:

          Be interested to know where else the ³EVERYWHERE² is because it is prima facie proof of uncritical copying, which is of course
          endemic in discography, but in this case mindless as the typo is so obvious.

          OK -- indeed, mine is BG&R3. Apologies to Howard as well. By "everywhere" I mean only a few places I looked; actually the correct number is at least seen in Ty Settlemaier's ODP and so it went into the Abrahms data correctly.

          Bob wrote:

          That said, I agree that the pianist is not Avery. I doubt that Lucille is the player, because of timing issues, although her son and his best friend both said she could play piano - they just don't sound self-accompanied. One "Smith" shares composer credits on "Black Angel", which may be a hint.

          However, there is another issue. To my ears, the pianist on "Whiskey Selling Woman" (C-5548) is different again - great left hand, interesting and variable right, far more swinging than either Avery or the later pianist. If it *is* Avery, he's playing way above himself! I'm tempted to say Bill O'Bryant, who recorded an excellent title with Tampa Red at about this time, but there are differences. Nevertheless, it is a forward-thinking accompaniment, hinting at what Maceo would later do.

          While I don't find the playing on "Whiskey Selling Woman" inconsistent with Avery -- the rising, locked hand tremolandi figure in this accompaniment also appears, in part, in "Dirty Treatin' Blues" -- I agree that it is an astonishing performance. Each verse is treated like a variation on its own, with an evolutionary sense of brilliance throughout. I've not yet heard the Bill O'Bryant side, but I will investigate it, and thanks for the suggestion.

          I note in my BG&R3 that the side on which O'Bryant plays is listed as "C-5563 1/2", so that takes me back to the discographical end of things.

          Howard wrote:

          I think you will listen in vain for an alternative take on Roots RL317. They were working from tapes not 78s and simply and carelessly quoted the first matrix number they came to, 5347, rather than the correct 5547, or maybe it's just a typo, and they always really knew they were issuing 5547 (This was checked aurally long ago and there is a note to this effect in B&GR4)

          Thanks Howard; now I know not to look for that. Here, in summary form, is the data that Laird gathers for the matrix range we are discussing. At the time, Brunswick was also cutting sessions for a label called Majestic which was a product of the Grigsby-Grunow Radio Corp. Though through acquisition the "Majestic" name did end up used in the 1940s for a commercial label, there is no relationship between this one and the later one. 1929-31 Majestic was a personal label like Gennett's "Personal." Hardly any of these records have been found, but the empty stock numbers figure significantly in the 1930 Brunswick ledger. Client work for the National Radio Advertising Co. also has a presence in the Brunswick book of 1930.

          C5312-C5349 all personal recordings, unknown (Majestic?)
          this would include C5347-C5349 credited to Bogan and dated "ca. February 1, 1930"; suggesting as you have that the session does not exist.
          C5350-C5352 Ben Bernie
          C5353 Freddie "Redd" Nicholson
          C5354 Charles Avery
          C5355-C5357 Freddie "Redd" Nicholson & J.[H. "Freddie"] Shayne

          C5540-C5546 all personal recordings, unknown (Majestic?)
          C5547-C5550 Lucille Bogan & Charles Avery
          C5551-C5552 Willie Harris
          XC5553-XC5554 Quin A. Ryan (Majestic, from dubbed masters)
          C5555-C5557 No details
          C5558-C5559 Bradley Kincaid
          C5560-C5561 Freddie "Redd" Nicholson & Charles Avery
          C5562-C5563 Lucille Bogan & Charles Avery
          C5563 1/2 Tampa Red vocal with guitar
          C5564 Tampa Red vocal with guitar & piano
          C5565-C5575 No details
          XC5576-XC5577 Quin A. Ryan (different dub of XC5553-XC5554)
          C5578-C5579 Tampa Red & Georgia Tom

          C6843-C6844 No details
          C6845-C6848 Lucille Bogan
          C6849-C6850 Kansas City Kitty & Georgia Tom
          C6851-C6852 No details
          C6853-C6856 Tampa Red & Georgia Tom
          C6857 No details
          C6858-C6859 Tampa Red & Georgia Tom
          C6860-C6864 No details (not used?)
          C6865-C6876 Bradley Kincaid, recorded in 1931 and not issued on Brunswick

          Note that O'Bryant is mentioned for C5563 1/2, whereas C5564 is shown as the side that has the piano. This is an error, but I note that O'Bryant's credit is carried only on the label copy and may not have noted in the log that Ross was reading.

          David N. Lewis
          Lebanon, OH
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2013
            For what¹s it¹s worth, I am sure we can take it that there is more than one
            session here, and that therefore there is no reason that whatever evidence
            someone may have had for Avery (and it probably goes back too far to find
            out) would apply to all the masters involved.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
              Arodin was not passing.

              Albert Haim produced definitive info in post 6 May 2006.

              Search the forum archive with 'arodin's ancestry ' result no 11 page 2
              archive no 2625.

              We had long discussion Willie Joseph 2009.

              Dave
            • warrington1@btinternet.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2013
                Thanks for pointing me towards Whiskey Selling Woman. I have enjoyed Lucille Bogan's records for many years without coming across this one. How strange given its quality that it doesn't appear on many compilations of her work (or other compilations for that matter). The phrase (Bob's I think) that meant I HAD to seek it out was this one: "Each verse is treated like a variation on its own, with an evolutionary sense of brilliance throughout." Well put! It made me think of the really accomplished accompanists - Blind Blake's guitar backing to his own Police Dog Blues, for instance, where each instrumental break between his singing is unique. But it also made me go to my LP collection to find a track I had had similar thoughts about when I first heard it many years ago: Irene's Bakershop Blues by Wiley and Wiley [Irene and Arnold]. Arnold Wiley does similarly inventive things as he accompanies each verse with a new variation. Thanks, RedHotJazz.
                Phil Warrington
              • Andrew Homzy
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Hello,

                  I'd like to contact Mike Meddings.

                  If you have his email, please send it off-list.

                  Cheers,

                  Andrew
                • ROBERT R. CALDER
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2013
                    For new every chorus in a blues/ barrelhouse accompaniment
                    try Robert McCoy accompanying "Peanut the Kidnapper" c. 1937.

                    I don't have the details to hand, but the accompaniment is startling resourceful.

                    I have seen reviews in which Delmark's CD of McCoy material was mis-described as a combination of the two LPs recorded by the enthusiast Pat Cather in the 1960s, when he had found McCoy.
                    Actually it's only the first of the LPs, with additional material from even later. Wonderful performer, of an Alabama piano school between Jabo Williams and Walter Roland, whose style he echoes on another pre-war recording.  His recorded connection with Ms. Bogan, who achieved a startling stridency by singing fractionally off the note, seems to have been confined to playing piano on sides by a band under her name.

                    Alas no return for Charles Avery!

                    Robert R. Calder