RE: [RedHotJazz] Sidney Arodin & "Up A Lazy River"

  • Ron L'Herault
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
      What CD(s) have all the Monk Hazel material?

      Ronald L'Herault

      Lab Supervisor, Biomaterials Division
      B.U. School of Dental Medicine
      801 Albany Street S203
      Roxbury, MA 02119

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
        Frog DGF5: Sizzling the Blues - New Orleans 1927-29.
        Which also includes the Johnnie Miller sides, the Louis Dumaines, the Jones-Collins Astoria Hot 8.

        Robert Greenwood.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
          Thanks!

          Ronald L'Herault

          Lab Supervisor, Biomaterials Division
          B.U. School of Dental Medicine
          801 Albany Street S203
          Roxbury, MA 02119

          Frog DGF5: Sizzling the Blues - New Orleans 1927-29.
          Which also includes the Johnnie Miller sides, the Louis Dumaines, the
          Jones-Collins Astoria Hot 8.

          Robert Greenwood.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L'Herault" wrote:

          > What CD(s) have all the Monk Hazel material?
          >
          > Ronald L'Herault
          >
          > Lab Supervisor, Biomaterials Division
          > B.U. School of Dental Medicine
          > 801 Albany Street S203
          > Roxbury, MA 02119

        • Bob Eagle
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
            If Sidney was "colored passing for white", then it started with his grandparents - his paternal grandfather (and his 6 children, including Sidney's dad, Victor) is listed at Westwego in the 1900 census as white.  The rest of the 50 people listed on that page were also presumably "passing", as they are all listed as "W" (white).  Victor, his father and his eldest brother were all "Fisherman" - maybe their attitude to race was temperred by working alongside black fishermen.

            20 years later, in New Orleans, Sidney and his wife are again listed as white, as were all 50 people listed on the page.

            I realise this doesn't disprove "passing", but if they were passing, the family did it for decades and they were very successful at it.  And if the family culture was "white" then it is likely that Sidney thought of himself that way.

            Unfortunately, this looks like being a comment by a performer designed to curry favor with an enthusiast.  People like Arodin and Brunies were so involved with the roots of the music that they shouldn't have felt the need to prove themselves to be black.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
              Most of the people living in Westwego in that period had moved there from the coast from the area around Caminada Bay which was wiped out by a hurricane in 1892. It was a white community.
              John McCusker
              New Orleans

              Sent from my iPhone