Re: [RedHotJazz] Sidney Arodin & "Up A Lazy River"

  • fearfeasa
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
      The late Jules Gallé, clarinetist with the Brunies Brothers band from Biloxi, Mississippi, knew Arodin well. He told me in the early 1980s:

      (1) that the melody of Up a Lazy River was most definitely composed by Arodin and was in fact derived from an original practice exercise used regularly by Arodin as a warm-up;

      (2) that Arodin's original title for the piece was "Lazy Nigger" (sic!); and

      (3) that, yes, Arodin WAS "colored passing for white." In that racist society where a black man's efforts attracted something like one tenth of the pay of a white man's, this was done often enough, by those who could get away with it, and that his black compatriots used to laugh about the situation, and applauded his business acumen.

      J. T. Dyamond.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
        If you search the archives of this group you will find detailed evidence
        that Arodin was not of African ancestry, not for many generations anyway,
        but I lack the time to dig it all out and present it again. It appears to
        have been a very rare instance in which African-Americans were mistaken in
        believing that someone was passing. I certainly always accepted that Arodin
        was a créole de couleur until Albert Haim (if memory serves) came up with
        the actual evidence.

        on 24/01/2013 12:41, fearfeasa at fearfeasa@... wrote:

        > The late Jules Gallé, clarinetist with the Brunies Brothers band from Biloxi,
        > Mississippi, knew Arodin well. He told me in the early 1980s:
        >
        > (1) that the melody of Up a Lazy River was most definitely composed by Arodin
        > and was in fact derived from an original practice exercise used regularly by
        > Arodin as a warm-up;
        >
        > (2) that Arodin's original title for the piece was "Lazy Nigger" (sic!); and
        >
        > (3) that, yes, Arodin WAS "colored passing for white." In that racist society
        > where a black man's efforts attracted something like one tenth of the pay of a
        > white man's, this was done often enough, by those who could get away with it,
        > and that his black compatriots used to laugh about the situation, and
        > applauded his business acumen.
        >
        > J. T. Dyamond.

      • Ron L'Herault
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
          What CD(s) have all the Monk Hazel material?

          Ronald L'Herault

          Lab Supervisor, Biomaterials Division
          B.U. School of Dental Medicine
          801 Albany Street S203
          Roxbury, MA 02119

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
            Frog DGF5: Sizzling the Blues - New Orleans 1927-29.
            Which also includes the Johnnie Miller sides, the Louis Dumaines, the Jones-Collins Astoria Hot 8.

            Robert Greenwood.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
              Thanks!

              Ronald L'Herault

              Lab Supervisor, Biomaterials Division
              B.U. School of Dental Medicine
              801 Albany Street S203
              Roxbury, MA 02119

              Frog DGF5: Sizzling the Blues - New Orleans 1927-29.
              Which also includes the Johnnie Miller sides, the Louis Dumaines, the
              Jones-Collins Astoria Hot 8.

              Robert Greenwood.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L'Herault" wrote:

              > What CD(s) have all the Monk Hazel material?
              >
              > Ronald L'Herault
              >
              > Lab Supervisor, Biomaterials Division
              > B.U. School of Dental Medicine
              > 801 Albany Street S203
              > Roxbury, MA 02119

            • Bob Eagle
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                If Sidney was "colored passing for white", then it started with his grandparents - his paternal grandfather (and his 6 children, including Sidney's dad, Victor) is listed at Westwego in the 1900 census as white.  The rest of the 50 people listed on that page were also presumably "passing", as they are all listed as "W" (white).  Victor, his father and his eldest brother were all "Fisherman" - maybe their attitude to race was temperred by working alongside black fishermen.

                20 years later, in New Orleans, Sidney and his wife are again listed as white, as were all 50 people listed on the page.

                I realise this doesn't disprove "passing", but if they were passing, the family did it for decades and they were very successful at it.  And if the family culture was "white" then it is likely that Sidney thought of himself that way.

                Unfortunately, this looks like being a comment by a performer designed to curry favor with an enthusiast.  People like Arodin and Brunies were so involved with the roots of the music that they shouldn't have felt the need to prove themselves to be black.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                  Most of the people living in Westwego in that period had moved there from the coast from the area around Caminada Bay which was wiped out by a hurricane in 1892. It was a white community.
                  John McCusker
                  New Orleans

                  Sent from my iPhone