AW: [RedHotJazz] Reed player ob J.C. Johnson and his Five Hot Sparks (again)
- I discussed this session with David French of Frog Records, who said the clarinetist sounded like Omer Simeon to him. After our conversation I looked again at Frog's "That's My Stuff" CD which includes some Alex Hill sides with George James (whom I favoured). In the sleeve notes to the Frog CD there was a reference to an article on James in "Storyville" No. 86. This was linked with a tentative James discography by Albert Vollmer (of Harlem Jazz and Blues Band fame).
Vollmer had actually discussed the Five Hot Sparks session with both Omer Simeon and George James and both denied having participated in the Johnson session.
Von: Andrew Homzy [mailto:homzy@...]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. September 2004 19:08
Betreff: Re: [RedHotJazz] NEW SONGS - J.C. Johnson and his Five Hot Sparks
Thanks for the info.
I was on the mark with Higginbotham - he did leave out his trademark
Who is cornetist/trumpeter Walter Bennett? This guy deserved wonderful
Mabel Horsey on piano? What did J.C. do?
Any other guesses about the clarinet, alto & banjo?
* The clarinetist has the funky-ness of Dodds yet the control of Bigard.
* The saxophonist is advanced beyond what Hawkins was doing at the time. He
plays one chord wrong in his solo and seems to have the technique of a
clarinetist. Almost like Bechet on alto - imagine that.
* The banjoist plays whole-tone scales in his first break and demonstrates a
blusey-ness that is rarely heard on the instrument. Bela Fleck?
* The composition/arrangement is also quite sophisticated - some unusual
harmonic twists here and there and very interesting orchestration in
general. I can't imagine that they played this piece much - probably
sight-reading it in the studio.
* In some ways, the piece is like Arthur Schutt meets Jelly Roll Morton.
Andrew Homzy, Montreal
From: Chris Smith <chris@...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:25:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] NEW SONGS - J.C. Johnson and his Five Hot Sparks
> Any comments on personnel?Rust gives Walter Bennett, c[ornet]; J.C. Higginbotham, tb; unknown; cl;
unknown, as; Mabel Horsey, p; unknown, bj.
Shetland ZE2 9AS
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to:
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.