Re: [RedHotJazz] Elgar's Creole Orchestra was Bent Persson and Friends play 20's Louis Armstrong

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 7, 2013
      Happy New Year to all of you still alive.

      We discussed Elgar last year and Michael Rader produced a definitive
      personnel in his post of 23 Feb 2012. Search with 'Elgar's'.

      Dave
    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 7, 2013
        Dear Dan and Priscilla,

        Thanks for your positive comments. The drummer on the two recordings is American - Josh Duffee, who is just getting better and better.
        He usually plays with trumpet player Andy Schumm. Since you mention 78 sound, I could not resist this link to a  78 recorded in 2011 (why on 78?). Go to 1.09 min to skip spoken intro. Down in the Gallion by Andy Schumm's Flatland Gang:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboYk7RFsKM
        980

        Anyhow, Andy
        Schumm and his orchestra also belong to the rare club of musicians who
        qualify for some truly authentic 20's style recordings. Here is another sample. (Any similarity to Bix is purely coincidental except that this recording was made in Davenport, Iowa, utilizing the Bix family piano, and Andy plays a cornet that belonged to Bix.) Clarinet Marmelade by Andy Schumm and his Gang:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm0nYlrP22w

        817

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 7, 2013
          Thanks, this is great. The trumpeters have that rounded Classic Jazz
          tone, and I especially enjoyed one of them doing some of Louis' break
          from the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra's "Shanghai Shuffle."
          The Youtube title was "Bent Persson and Friends play Louis' Hot Choruses."
          For a second I thought that meant they'd adapted Armstrong's
          instructional book "100 Red Hot Breaks for Cornet" (or whatever) for
          which the recordings have been lost. That would be interesting, and I
          bet these guys know them.

          Thanks again,
          Andrew Taylor

          On 1/5/2013 11:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:

          > Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival
          > in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians
          > from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day
          > long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all
          > day long as well....
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
          >
          > 64
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
          >
          > 53

          Andrew Taylor, MLS
          Associate Curator, Visual Resources
          713-348-4836

        • Andrew Taylor
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
            Well, what do you know?

            from Jazz, *1897-1985: Mu-Ro* by Walter Bruyninckx
            <http://books.google.com/books?id=XRc5AQAAIAAJ&q=50+hot+choruses+for+cornet&dq=50+hot+choruses+for+cornet&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Wc7tULbSGsHa2AWRmIDADw&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBTgK>:

            Armstrong's 50 hot choruses for cornet Vol2- : Bent Persson (cnt,
            tp) Jens Lindgren (tb) Tomas Ornberg (cl, sop) Hans Hultman-Boye
            (p) Kjell Soderqvist (bj) Bo Juhlin (tu) Christopher Ekhe (d)
            Stckholm, May 22, 1976

            - Andrew

            On 1/7/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

            > The Youtube title was "Bent Persson and Friends play Louis' Hot Choruses."
            > For a second I thought that meant they'd adapted Armstrong's
            > instructional book "100 Red Hot Breaks for Cornet" (or whatever) for
            > which the recordings have been lost. That would be interesting, and I
            > bet these guys know them.
            >
            > Thanks again,
            > Andrew Taylor
            >
            > On 1/5/2013 11:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
            > >
            > > Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival
            > > in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians
            > > from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day
            > > long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all
            > > day long as well....
            > >
            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
            > >
            > > 64
            > >
            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
            > >
            > > 53

            > --
            > Andrew Taylor, MLS
            > Associate Curator, Visual Resources
            > Department of Art History, Rice University
            > 713-348-4836

            Andrew Taylor, MLS
            Associate Curator, Visual Resources
            713-348-4836

          • ALAN BOND
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
              All of this is in The Jazz Discography online (TJD) from Tom Lord. Here's the link :-

              http://www.lordisco.com/index.php

              TTFN - 007
              p.s. as far as I know, Bent Persson and his merry men have yet to complete the recording of the 50 hot choruses

              ________________________________

                  Stckholm, May 22, 1976

                - Andrew

              On 1/7/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

              > The Youtube title was "Bent Persson and Friends play Louis' Hot Choruses."
              > For a second I thought that meant they'd adapted Armstrong's
              > instructional book "100 Red Hot Breaks for Cornet" (or whatever) for
              > which the recordings have been lost. That would be interesting, and I
              > bet these guys know them.
              >
              > Thanks again,
              > Andrew Taylor
              >
              > On 1/5/2013 11:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
              > >
              > > Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival
              > > in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians
              > > from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day
              > > long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all
              > > day long as well....
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
              > >
              > > 64
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
              > >
              > > 53

              > --
              > Andrew Taylor, MLS
              > Associate Curator, Visual Resources
              > Department of Art History, Rice University
              > 713-348-4836

              Andrew Taylor, MLS
              Associate Curator, Visual Resources
              713-348-4836

                  RedHotJazz-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Mordechai Litzman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
                Hi Andrew,
                The topic of the Louis Armstrong 50 Hot Choruses has been touched upon previously on this site.

                A Swedish Louis Armstrong collector and biographer found the sheet music with the written breaks and spent decades finding and recording the complete tunes. Various groups were assembled to record the tunes with Bent Persson playing the choruses and breaks. I have the two LPs that were issued on Kenneth. Later, some tunes were re-recorded and added, and these were all issued on two CDs that I also have.

                Here is an earlier post that gives the history. (There are more posts - just type in 50 Hot Choruses in the box above for Search Mail and you will find them)

                One of the big hurdles with the two LP project was to find the tunes associated with the breaks, and I
                think that it took some 20 years to complete the project and perhaps a
                couple of the tunes were never found. I recall a hilarious story where
                the producer Gosta Hagglof in his excitment interrupted a performance in a California jazz club becuse he found the sheet music to one of the
                missing tunes posted in an exhibit in the lobby of the jazz club.

                Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:  on 7/12/05 15:03, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

                > Here is my source for the story about the the cylinders, which is printed on
                > the back of the LP cover on the two LPs on Kenneth titled "Louis Armstrong's
                > 50 Hot Choruses for Cornet as recreated by Bent Persson." The information is
                > taken from "The Elmer Schoebel Story, Doctor Jazz # 32 (Oct. 1968):
                > "During the Chicago days I was sharing office with Walter Melrose of the
                > 'Melrose Music Co'. One day, in 1927, Melrose said he was going to publish a
                > set of Louis Armstrong breaks but there was a technical problem of getting the
                > Armstrong 'hot' breaks down on paper. Finally, Melrose and I hit upon the idea
                > of having Armstrong record his breaks. We bought a $15 Edison cylinder
                > phonograph and 50 wax cylinders, gave them to Louis and told him to play. The
                > cylinders were duly filled up by Armstrong and the breaks were copied into
                > written form. I transcribed the breaks which were published. These were not
                > orchestrated at any time and were not made for that purpose. I had all the
                > records (cylinders), later I turned them over to Melrose. When I was in
                > Chicago, in 1949, a collector was offering $ 1.000 per cylinder but Melrose
                > and I could not find them."
                > In my humble opinion the beginning of the story sounds plausible, but to pay $
                > 50.000 for the cylinders in 1949 seems doubtful to me.

                Right. This makes a lot more sense if it was just the breaks that were
                recorded. Presumably the titles have been assumed from the published
                version. I do agree that it's unlikely that Elmer Schoebel made this up.

                ________________________________

                Stckholm, May 22, 1976

                - Andrew

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
                  It's fairly obvious that many on the site would have known this. But not everyone, obviously. I thought it was worth mentioning in passing.
                  Andrew

                  Andrew Taylor (from my iPad)

                • Andrew Taylor
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 10, 2013
                    Dear Howard,
                    Sorry for being chippy and rude, must have come out of some dark corner of my mind(!).
                    Thanks for sharing all that great information.
                    Andrew

                    Andrew Taylor (from my iPad)