Bent Persson and Friends play 20's Louis Armstrong

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 5, 2013
      Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all day long as well....

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8

      64

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko

      53

    • Mike Amato
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
        Thanks, Mordechai!  I enjoyed both of them.

        Mike Amato

        Bedford Banjo Shop

        114 S. Juliana Street

        Bedford, PA 15522

        (814) 623-2187

        http://www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
          Who composed "Caf� Capers"?

          Cheers,

          Andrew

          On 2013-01-05, at 9:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:

          > Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all day long as well....
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
          >
          > 64
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
          >
          > 53

        • lastofthebarons
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
            Can't locate the composer credits but it was recorded, as you are probably aware, by Elgar's Creole Orchestra on 17Sep1926.

            Cheers,

            Marc

            On 7 Jan 2013, at 00:15, Andrew Homzy <andrew.homzy@...> wrote:

            > Café Capers

          • lastofthebarons
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
              A bit more info, for those who aren't aware, the possible lineup of Elgar's Creole Orchestra is, according to Lord:-

              Emmanuel Perez, Joe Sudler (cnt) Harry Swift (tb) Darnell Howard (cl,as) prob Omer Simeon (cl,as) Jimmy Dudley (cl,ts) Charles Elgar (vln,ldr) Logan Thomas (p) Bill Shelby (bj) Lawson Buford (tu) Ben Thigpen (d)

              Cheers,

              Marc

              On 7 Jan 2013, at 00:15, Andrew Homzy <andrew.homzy@...> wrote:

              > Who composed "Café Capers"?
              >

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Andrew
              >

              > On 2013-01-05, at 9:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
              >
              >> Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all day long as well....
              >>
              >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
              >>
              >> 64
              >>
              >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
              >>
              >> 53

            • Andrew Homzy
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
                I should have done a google search before asking the question.

                The Library of Congress has the chart -

                If someone has a copy, please contact me -

                Cheers,

                Andrew

                Cafe Capers. [By Mel Stitzel] Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E634856. Call no.: M1350.S.

                The Library of Congress >> Researchers

                Home >> Finding Aids, Bibliographies, Guides >> Stock Arrangements
                Find in

                Melrose Syncopation Series

                in the collections of the Music Division, Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-4820
                The first important set of jazz "stocks" -- published sets of parts for jazz orchestra -- was the Melrose Syncopation Series. Some of these stocks were not deposited for copyright, and are thus not represented in the collections of the Music Division. This is a list of the Melrose Syncopation Series stocks we do have. This list contains only material seen by Wayne Shirley during a search for Melrose stocks made in 1988- 1989. Some other Melrose stocks are not owned by the Library of Congress; some are owned but have not been located.

                All of these arrangements are, so far as we know, protected by copyright. Many of them are protected by several. You will need permission from all copyright owners before we can make copies for you. The Copyright Office will search their records to find the current owners of copyright in any particular arrangement for a fee. For more information, see Request a Search of Copyright Records.

                [alphabetically by title]

                Baby Chile. By Walter Melrose. Arranged by Tiny Parham. Chicago, Melrose, 1937. Copyright no.: Epub 64789. Call no.: M1350.M.

                Billy Goat Stomp. By Ferd (Jelly Roll) Morton. Arranged by Tiny Parham. Chicago, Melrose, 1927. Copyright no.: GET THIS. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 28-B.

                Black Bottom Stomp. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E648730. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 30.

                Boogaboo. By Ferd "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Tiny Parham. Chicago, Melrose, 1928. Copyright no.: GET THIS. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 31-A.

                Bucktown Blues. By Boyd Senter. Arranged by Carleton Colby. Chicago, Melrose, 1924. Copyright no.: E612147. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Cafe Capers: see DIXIELAND CONCERT SERIES below.

                The Chant. A spooky serenade. By Mel Stitzel. Arranged by the composer. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E 644871. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 122.

                Chattanooga Stomp. By Oliver & Picou. Arranged by F. Alexander. Chicago, Melrose, 1924. Copyright no.: Epub 119657. Call no.: M1350.P.

                Chicago Breakdown. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E 633467. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 13.

                Chimes Blues. By Joseph [King] Oliver. Phonograph arrangement as played by King Oliver and his Jazz Band. Chicago, Melrose, 1923. Copyright no.: Epub 122601. Call no.: M1350.O.

                Copenhagen. By Charlie Davis. Arranged by Joe Jordan. Chicago, Melrose, 1924. ["Phonograph arrangement as played by Wolverine Orchestra"] Copyright no.: E602461. Call no.: M1350.D.

                Dallas Stomp. By Don Bestor. Arranged by the composer. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E644252. Call no.: M1350.B.

                Darktown Shuffle. By Joe Thomas and Earl Baker. Arranged by Joe Thomas. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E623278. Call no.: M1350.T.

                Dead Man Blues. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: GET THIS. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 1-C.

                Dixie Train. By Walter Melrose. Arranged by Fletcher Henderson. Chicago, Melrose, 1936. Copyright no.: Epub 61094. Call no.: M1350.M.

                Easy Rider: see DIXIELAND CONCERT SERIES below.

                Georgia Swing. By Ferd "Jelly Roll" Morton. Extracted from record by Mel Stitzel and Carrol Martin. Chicago, Melrose, 1928. Copyright no.: Epub 7068. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 33-B.

                Grace and Beauty: see DIXIELAND CONCERT SERIES below.

                Grandpa's Spells. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E618136. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3108, ITEM 3-B.

                Hot Notes. By Gene Rodermich and Tom Satterfield. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E642518. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Hyena Stomp. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1927. Copyright no.: E665816. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 34-B.

                Jackass Blues. (A comedy blues) By Art Kassel and Mel Stitzel. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. "Special phonograph arrangement." Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E640595. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Jelly Roll Blues. [by Ferdinand "Jelly Roll" Morton] Orchestration by Jelly Roll Morton. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1927. [Title on music reads "Original Jelly Roll Blues."] Copyright no.: GET THIS. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 4-B.

                Jimtown Blues. By Charlie Davis. Arranged by Alford-Colby. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E606435. Call no.: M1350.D.

                Kansas City Stomp. By Ferd "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: Ep 53126. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 5-B.

                King Porter Stomp. A blues masterpiece by Ferd [Jelly Roll] Morton. Special arrangement for orchestra by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1924. Copyright no.: E 603561. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 6.

                London Blues. By Ferd "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by F. Alexander. Chicago, Melrose, 1923. Copyright no.: GET THIS Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 19-B.

                Maple Leaf Rag. see DIXIELAND CONCERT SERIES below.

                Midnight Mamma. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E 628631. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 8.

                Milenburg Joys. By Paul Mares, Leon Roppolo, "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Joe Jordan. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E 619050. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 21-B. [Another arrangement, by Dave Burton, published in 1944, has copyright no. Epub 120765 and call no. MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 21-D.]

                Mr. Jelly Lord. By Ferd "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by F. Alexander. Chicago, Melrose, 1923. Copyright no.: E 682440. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 22-B.

                New Orleans Blues. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Joe Jordan. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E 618141. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 9.

                Original Chinese Blues. By Fred Moore and Oscar Gardner. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E641318. Call no.: M1350.M.

                [Original Jelly Roll Blues see Jelly Roll Blues]

                Panama Blues. By Merrit Brunies, Henry Brunies and Maurie Friedman. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E648731. Call no.: M12350.B.

                The Pearls. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E 618137. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 10-B.

                Queen of Spades. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E 626230. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 29.

                St. Louis Blues. By W. C. Handy. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E649127. Call no.: M1350.H.

                San Sue Strut. By Joe "Wingy" Mannone. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E620866. Call no.: M1350.M.

                Shave 'Em Dry. By Sam Wishnuff. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E640246. Call no.: M1350.W.

                Shoe Shiner's Drag. By Ferd (Jelly Roll) Morton. Arranged by Tiny Parham. Chicago, Melrose, 1928. Copyright no.: GET THIS. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 20-B.

                Shreveport Stomp. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. [Title on music reads "Shreeveport Stomps"] Copyright no.: E 618138. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 12.

                Sidewalk Blues. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Charlie Rider. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E 650995. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 36-B.

                Slippery Elm. By Boyd Senter the jazz wizard. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E626231. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Smoke House Blues. By Charlie Luke. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E 648732. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 123.

                Snag It. By Joe Oliver. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E645909. Call no.: M1350.O

                Some of These Days. By Shelton Brooks. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E655064. Call no.: M1350.B.

                Steady Roll Blues. By Geo. Bates and Mel Stitzel. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. "Special jazz arrangement" Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E612506. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Steamboat Stomp. By Boyd Senter. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E644253. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 124.

                Sugar Babe. By Walter Melrose & Boyd Senter. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E626229. Call no.: M1350.M.

                Sugar Foot Stomp. By Joe Oliver and Louis Armstrong. Arranged by Donald Redman and Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E620867. Call no.: M1350.O.

                Tom Cat Blues. By "Jelly Roll" Morton. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E 618140. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 14.

                29th and Dearborn. By Richard M. Jones, the jazz wizard. Arranged by Elmer Schoebel. Chicago, Melrose, 1925. Copyright no.: E626232. Call no.: M1350.J.

                Wa Wa Wa. By Mort Schaeffer. Arranged by Mel Stitzel. Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E640596. Call nbo.: M1350.S.

                Weary Blues: see DIXIELAND CONCERT SERIES below.

                Wild Man Blues. By Ferd Morton. Arranged by Tiny Parham. Chicago, Melrose, 1927. Copyright no.: GET THIS. Call no.: MICROFILM MUSIC 3018, ITEM 38-B.

                **********

                MELROSE DIXIELAND CONCERT SERIES [listed on back of Panama Blues (1926)]

                [this is a series in quarto format, arranged by Elmer Schoebel]

                African Echoes [not found]

                Cafe Capers. [By Mel Stitzel] Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E634856. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Easy Rider. [by Thomas A. Dorsey] Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E642723. Call no.: M1350.D.

                Grace & Beauty. [By James Scott] Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: M634857. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Maple Leaf Rag. [By Scott Joplin] Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E632737. Call no.: M1350.J.

                Steamboat Stomp. [By Boyd Senter] Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E644253. Call no.: M1350.S.

                Weary Blues. [by Artie Matthews] Chicago, Melrose, 1926. Copyright no.: E640833. Call no.: M1350.M.

                END

                Note: This file has been edited for use on computer networks. This editing required the removal of diacritics and fonts such as italics and bold.

                Top of Page

                Home >> Finding Aids, Bibliographies, Guides >> Stock Arrangements
                Find in
                The Library of Congress >> Researchers
                November 23, 2010 Legal | External Link Disclaimer

                Contact Us:
                Ask a Librarian

                Cheers,

                Andrew Homzy -

                180 Pirates Lane - Nanaimo, BC
                V9R 6R1 CANADA

                Phone: 250-667-0238

                On 2013-01-06, at 5:09 PM, lastofthebarons wrote:

                > A bit more info, for those who aren't aware, the possible lineup of Elgar's Creole Orchestra is, according to Lord:-
                >
                > Emmanuel Perez, Joe Sudler (cnt) Harry Swift (tb) Darnell Howard (cl,as) prob Omer Simeon (cl,as) Jimmy Dudley (cl,ts) Charles Elgar (vln,ldr) Logan Thomas (p) Bill Shelby (bj) Lawson Buford (tu) Ben Thigpen (d)
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Marc
                >
                > On 7 Jan 2013, at 00:15, Andrew Homzy andrew.homzy@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Who composed "Café Capers"?
                > >

                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Andrew
                > >

                > > On 2013-01-05, at 9:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
                > >
                > >> Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all day long as well....
                > >>
                > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
                > >>
                > >> 64
                > >>
                > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
                > >>
                > >> 53

              • DAN and PRISCILLA MOSS
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
                  Those two YouTube links are great! As an aficionado of almost forty years for 1920's jazz 78's, I'm usually skeptical about modern replications of it. Such almost always seems to me to be gimmickry-laden and inauthentic somehow (as if hopelessly "contaminated" by some showy or overly zany "trad" axiom), and I avoid them. However (and forgive if my aforementioned avoidance of this kind of replication has made me naive), these guys get it pretty spot-on, in my opinion. They sound more like a 1920's jazz 78 come-to-life than anything I've heard.

                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
                    Apologies for the blank email (sent by mistake while “unlocking” a couple of messages which Yahoo had marked as spam for no reason)

                    P.

                  • ALAN BOND
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
                      Bent Persson and his cohorts have been doing this sort of thing for nearly 40 years and they are not alone. However, fortunately they do not always slavishly copy the originals - a bit pointless from the jazz angle - if I want to hear it played in the original format I put the records on. Playing in a different style is not 'contamination' but progression, without which jazz will die. Another band that used to play in a similar style but using original arrangements was 'Charquet & Co', a French band with lots of swing and style. Sadly they broke up in 1978 or thereabouts but there are plenty of clips on You Tube and there were at least five LPs of their stuff issued. There are also bands like 'Harlem' which started out life as the 'Dud Clews Jazz Orchestra in Coventry. We should not overly criticise so called 'trad' bands as many of them had highly original styles with unique, if often loose, arrangements. The standard of musicianship in these bands was
                      far and away better than anything produced by the 'pop' stars. The work of bands like Chris Barber, Alex Welsh, Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk Terry Lightfoot and many others have stood the test of time and do not sound dated, and four out of these five are still going, though Acker Bilk seems to be not too well these days. One of the most original bands was that run by Steve Lane under the titles of 'The Southern Stompers' and latterly 'The Red Hot Peppers'. Like a lot of 'trad' (how I hate that expression) bands, many were formed in the late 'forties and early 'fifties and there were many excellent musicians to be found among them. They will long be remembered for standing out head and shoulders in the field of poular music.

                      TTFN - 007

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 7, 2013
                        Happy New Year to all of you still alive.

                        We discussed Elgar last year and Michael Rader produced a definitive
                        personnel in his post of 23 Feb 2012. Search with 'Elgar's'.

                        Dave
                      • Mordechai Litzman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 7, 2013
                          Dear Dan and Priscilla,

                          Thanks for your positive comments. The drummer on the two recordings is American - Josh Duffee, who is just getting better and better.
                          He usually plays with trumpet player Andy Schumm. Since you mention 78 sound, I could not resist this link to a  78 recorded in 2011 (why on 78?). Go to 1.09 min to skip spoken intro. Down in the Gallion by Andy Schumm's Flatland Gang:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboYk7RFsKM
                          980

                          Anyhow, Andy
                          Schumm and his orchestra also belong to the rare club of musicians who
                          qualify for some truly authentic 20's style recordings. Here is another sample. (Any similarity to Bix is purely coincidental except that this recording was made in Davenport, Iowa, utilizing the Bix family piano, and Andy plays a cornet that belonged to Bix.) Clarinet Marmelade by Andy Schumm and his Gang:

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm0nYlrP22w

                          817

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 7, 2013
                            Thanks, this is great. The trumpeters have that rounded Classic Jazz
                            tone, and I especially enjoyed one of them doing some of Louis' break
                            from the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra's "Shanghai Shuffle."
                            The Youtube title was "Bent Persson and Friends play Louis' Hot Choruses."
                            For a second I thought that meant they'd adapted Armstrong's
                            instructional book "100 Red Hot Breaks for Cornet" (or whatever) for
                            which the recordings have been lost. That would be interesting, and I
                            bet these guys know them.

                            Thanks again,
                            Andrew Taylor

                            On 1/5/2013 11:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:

                            > Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival
                            > in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians
                            > from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day
                            > long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all
                            > day long as well....
                            >
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
                            >
                            > 64
                            >
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
                            >
                            > 53

                            Andrew Taylor, MLS
                            Associate Curator, Visual Resources
                            713-348-4836

                          • Andrew Taylor
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
                              Well, what do you know?

                              from Jazz, *1897-1985: Mu-Ro* by Walter Bruyninckx
                              <http://books.google.com/books?id=XRc5AQAAIAAJ&q=50+hot+choruses+for+cornet&dq=50+hot+choruses+for+cornet&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Wc7tULbSGsHa2AWRmIDADw&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBTgK>:

                              Armstrong's 50 hot choruses for cornet Vol2- : Bent Persson (cnt,
                              tp) Jens Lindgren (tb) Tomas Ornberg (cl, sop) Hans Hultman-Boye
                              (p) Kjell Soderqvist (bj) Bo Juhlin (tu) Christopher Ekhe (d)
                              Stckholm, May 22, 1976

                              - Andrew

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
                                All of this is in The Jazz Discography online (TJD) from Tom Lord. Here's the link :-

                                http://www.lordisco.com/index.php

                                TTFN - 007
                                p.s. as far as I know, Bent Persson and his merry men have yet to complete the recording of the 50 hot choruses

                                ________________________________

                                    Stckholm, May 22, 1976

                                  - Andrew

                                On 1/7/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

                                > The Youtube title was "Bent Persson and Friends play Louis' Hot Choruses."
                                > For a second I thought that meant they'd adapted Armstrong's
                                > instructional book "100 Red Hot Breaks for Cornet" (or whatever) for
                                > which the recordings have been lost. That would be interesting, and I
                                > bet these guys know them.
                                >
                                > Thanks again,
                                > Andrew Taylor
                                >
                                > On 1/5/2013 11:48 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Here are two just issued rehearsals from the Whitley Bay jazz festival
                                > > in October 2012 with some of the very best classical jazz musicians
                                > > from the US, Europe and Scandinavia. I could listen to this all day
                                > > long, and it looks like these guys would enjoy playing together all
                                > > day long as well....
                                > >
                                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_0mGsRnO8
                                > >
                                > > 64
                                > >
                                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2IipGA_ko
                                > >
                                > > 53

                                > --
                                > Andrew Taylor, MLS
                                > Associate Curator, Visual Resources
                                > Department of Art History, Rice University
                                > 713-348-4836

                                Andrew Taylor, MLS
                                Associate Curator, Visual Resources
                                713-348-4836

                                    RedHotJazz-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              • Mordechai Litzman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
                                  Hi Andrew,
                                  The topic of the Louis Armstrong 50 Hot Choruses has been touched upon previously on this site.

                                  A Swedish Louis Armstrong collector and biographer found the sheet music with the written breaks and spent decades finding and recording the complete tunes. Various groups were assembled to record the tunes with Bent Persson playing the choruses and breaks. I have the two LPs that were issued on Kenneth. Later, some tunes were re-recorded and added, and these were all issued on two CDs that I also have.

                                  Here is an earlier post that gives the history. (There are more posts - just type in 50 Hot Choruses in the box above for Search Mail and you will find them)

                                  One of the big hurdles with the two LP project was to find the tunes associated with the breaks, and I
                                  think that it took some 20 years to complete the project and perhaps a
                                  couple of the tunes were never found. I recall a hilarious story where
                                  the producer Gosta Hagglof in his excitment interrupted a performance in a California jazz club becuse he found the sheet music to one of the
                                  missing tunes posted in an exhibit in the lobby of the jazz club.

                                  Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:  on 7/12/05 15:03, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

                                  > Here is my source for the story about the the cylinders, which is printed on
                                  > the back of the LP cover on the two LPs on Kenneth titled "Louis Armstrong's
                                  > 50 Hot Choruses for Cornet as recreated by Bent Persson." The information is
                                  > taken from "The Elmer Schoebel Story, Doctor Jazz # 32 (Oct. 1968):
                                  > "During the Chicago days I was sharing office with Walter Melrose of the
                                  > 'Melrose Music Co'. One day, in 1927, Melrose said he was going to publish a
                                  > set of Louis Armstrong breaks but there was a technical problem of getting the
                                  > Armstrong 'hot' breaks down on paper. Finally, Melrose and I hit upon the idea
                                  > of having Armstrong record his breaks. We bought a $15 Edison cylinder
                                  > phonograph and 50 wax cylinders, gave them to Louis and told him to play. The
                                  > cylinders were duly filled up by Armstrong and the breaks were copied into
                                  > written form. I transcribed the breaks which were published. These were not
                                  > orchestrated at any time and were not made for that purpose. I had all the
                                  > records (cylinders), later I turned them over to Melrose. When I was in
                                  > Chicago, in 1949, a collector was offering $ 1.000 per cylinder but Melrose
                                  > and I could not find them."
                                  > In my humble opinion the beginning of the story sounds plausible, but to pay $
                                  > 50.000 for the cylinders in 1949 seems doubtful to me.

                                  Right. This makes a lot more sense if it was just the breaks that were
                                  recorded. Presumably the titles have been assumed from the published
                                  version. I do agree that it's unlikely that Elmer Schoebel made this up.

                                  ________________________________

                                  Stckholm, May 22, 1976

                                  - Andrew

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 9, 2013
                                    It's fairly obvious that many on the site would have known this. But not everyone, obviously. I thought it was worth mentioning in passing.
                                    Andrew

                                    Andrew Taylor (from my iPad)

                                  • Andrew Taylor
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 10, 2013
                                      Dear Howard,
                                      Sorry for being chippy and rude, must have come out of some dark corner of my mind(!).
                                      Thanks for sharing all that great information.
                                      Andrew

                                      Andrew Taylor (from my iPad)