Re: [RedHotJazz] Fats Waller Project: NEW VINYL Release from Rivermont

  • ALAN BOND
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
      Sounds very interesting so has got to be worth a try. While on the subject of Fats Waller, a friend of mine who passed away a good many years ago now, was around the jazz secene in London in the '30s and was in the know with record producers and the like. He was able to get in on a lot of the recording sessions and, particularly, rehearsals. When Fats was over here in 1938 and 1939 Hugh was able to go along to the recording sessions on the back of the fact that he knew Edmundo Ros. At one of the rehersal sessions the musicians were gathered when Fats asked them to 'come round the back of piano and meet my manager' and there were two cases of scotch which he proceeded to hand round, one bottle per man. I am told that the rehearsals were even better than the actual recording sessions themselves.
                      From another site I received a link to a new set of recordings by Bryan Ferry, not a name to conjure with among jazz fans, but I would be interested to hear any comments from members of this group after listening to the sample track and the video which the link leads to. This is the link :-

      http://www.vfeditions.com/product/view/73

      TTFN - 007

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
        Bryan Ferry may not be a name to conjure with among jazz fans but he certainly is among music fans (many of whom are jazz fans, as clearly he is). The link (thank you Alan Bond) leads to a fascinating reconsidering of some of his songs (no longer "songs" as he strips them of any vocal refrain). His open admiration and acknowledgment of the sources and inspiration for his new album must surely be applauded by the RedHotJazz fraternity as must the musicianship of his orchestra.