ADMIN: Reminders

    Message 1 of 66 , Nov 2, 2012
      Friends,

      I do not intend to send such messages once a year, but at this point I think
      I need to remind new subscribers that this group is run according to the set
      of information, recommendations, and rules which Michael Rader and myself
      edited in 2004, available from the group's "files" section:
      http://tinyurl.com/d4ha6xr

      It needs revising, obviously, since today's Internet users are not the ones
      who used to enjoy email communication in eGroups' time (and this may also
      mean that our groups are obsolete... however, I think they maintain a degree
      of courtesy and privacy which can hardly be found anywhere else).
      Among other things, it should be recalled that Yahoo groups are basically
      mailing-lists (even if some prefer reading on the Web), and that all members
      are supposed to provide valid email addresses.
      In that regard, and considering the first spam message which briefly
      appeared on the board this week (and, fortunately, no-one seems to have
      received), I am not sure I will be able to accept more subscribers with
      disposable yahoo.com or hotmail.com addresses in the next future, unless I
      can individually check their purpose.
      For two reasons:
      - the potential danger of such easily hackable accounts (please note that,
      even with private mail, the apparent sender is seldom the actual "spammer");
      - the increasing number of people who bypass Yahoo's rules by providing
      secondary addresses they *never* check.

      The document I am inviting all "Web only" subscribers to read and understand
      also failed to state the obvious, which is that Yahoo groups are run by
      private individuals, not by employees or slaves anyone is allowed to
      command, or publicly blame.
      We have been able to maintain total freedom of speech as far as the group's
      topic is concerned, but whatever regards management is supposed to be
      addressed to me, not to the 850+ people who just cannot do a thing about it
      (and those who helped me build this group from the start know that anyone
      claiming he cannot get in touch with me is a liar).

      I have always spent as much time as necessary whenever someone asked for
      help, requested information, or reported an incident, I am open to all
      suggestions, I would not even mind giving ownership by now to anyone likely
      to run this list better than I do, BUT I have no time to waste with
      trouble-makers who ignore my private requests, and repeatedly attempt to
      flood everyone with their ins(is)tant demands (fancy we also have a right to
      sleep at night). Such rants will never reach your mailboxes, and this is
      what moderation is for.

      Thanks to everyone's self-discipline, the total number of people I happened
      to ban from this group in eight years' time only amounts to FIVE, plus a
      couple of "silently removed" subscribers who did not even notice it - all of
      them because they thought the cleverest thing to do was to "piss me off" (I
      think Alan Balfour taught me this phrase) and claim they had a right to do
      so.
      Might "work" with... somebody else, not me.

      Early Winter greetings,

      Patrice - redhotjazz-owner@yahoogroups.com (and it works)