Record Research

  • Niku
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
      I have found that this is definitely job I don't care for. It's time-consuming and, sometimes, unrewarding. I need to do it more efficiently. What I'm looking for is a site or book(s) that will help me find the basic information about a recording: Performer(s), record company and number of record, publication date, music and lyric writers; that's about it. I am now routinely using Red Hot Archives, and I have ordered the book, "Moanin' Low" by Ross Laird. I realize that I can probably obtain everything I need by coming here, and I will, but I'm sure I could cut such visits to minimum, and save time, by using some good reference sites/books. Oh, yes, I'm mostly interested in music of the 20s and 30s.
    • lastofthebarons
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
        Try The Jazz Discography:-

        https://www.lordisco.com

        Great for anyone researching dates etc. Then there is

        http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Brian/index.php

        A Jazz Discography programme that has an excellent starter database that give a large selection of songs and their writers.

        They both come with a personal recommendation.

        You can also try ellingtonia.com which has a list of all the titles together with writers that Duke recorded.

        Cheers,

        On 24 Sep 2012, at 17:46, Niku <xyzagain@...> wrote:

        > I have found that this is definitely job I don't care for. It's time-consuming and, sometimes, unrewarding. I need to do it more efficiently. What I'm looking for is a site or book(s) that will help me find the basic information about a recording: Performer(s), record company and number of record, publication date, music and lyric writers; that's about it. I am now routinely using Red Hot Archives, and I have ordered the book, "Moanin' Low" by Ross Laird. I realize that I can probably obtain everything I need by coming here, and I will, but I'm sure I could cut such visits to minimum, and save time, by using some good reference sites/books. Oh, yes, I'm mostly interested in music of the 20s and 30s.

      • ALAN BOND
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
          I will add my tuppence worth to this debate by saying that the $9.99 (about seven quid) I spend every month for a subscription to Tom Lord's Jazz Discography is money well spent and I would recommend membership to anoyne interested in jazz of whatever hue.
          TTFN - 007

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, lastofthebarons <lastofthebarons@...> wrote:

            > Try The Jazz Discography:-
            >
            > https://www.lordisco.com
            >
            > Great for anyone researching dates etc. Then there is
            >
            > http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Brian/index.php
            >
            > A Jazz Discography programme that has an excellent starter database that give a large selection of songs and their writers.
            >
            > They both come with a personal recommendation.
            >
            > You can also try ellingtonia.com which has a list of all the titles together with writers that Duke recorded.

            --------
            Thanks for the tips. It looks like I'm going to have to choose the first one, because I can't get my "Brian" download to work. "Brian" appears in my menu bar, and the dock. There is also An Icon for "Brian Discography Software" on my desktop, but I can't do anything with any of them. I also wrote to their suggested contact:
            ( Cheers,If you have any questions regarding Brian, please feel free to email me at steve@....), but my mail screen says that it's an invalid E-mail address). To bad, because I have a lot of respect for Brian Rust. Well, your first choice looks okay. I
            am just worried about their definition of "jazz". I may be wrong. but it seems to me as if the term covered a much broader spectrum of music in the earlier days of jazz than today. In other words, when "jazz" was actually popular, the term included performers and performers that today are scorned as "not jazz". Correct me if I'm wrong.

            Steve Albin

            > On 24 Sep 2012, at 17:46, Niku <xyzagain@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I have found that this is definitely job I don't care for. It's time-consuming and, sometimes, unrewarding. I need to do it more efficiently. What I'm looking for is a site or book(s) that will help me find the basic information about a recording: Performer(s), record company and number of record, publication date, music and lyric writers; that's about it. I am now routinely using Red Hot Archives, and I have ordered the book, "Moanin' Low" by Ross Laird. I realize that I can probably obtain everything I need by coming here, and I will, but I'm sure I could cut such visits to minimum, and save time, by using some good reference sites/books. Oh, yes, I'm mostly interested in music of the 20s and 30s.

          • Nigel Burlinson
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
              Have you tried the Library of Congress?

              http://lcweb5.loc.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/8138798/sonic.txt?action=-oyQT

              Very good for 78's!!

              Nigel Burlinson

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel Burlinson" <burlinson@...> wrote:

                > Have you tried the Library of Congress?
                >
                > http://lcweb5.loc.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/8138798/sonic.txt?action=-oyQT
                >
                > Very good for 78's!!
                >
                > Nigel Burlinson
                >
                >------
                Well, I'll try--again. I talked to them a few days ago, and the woman said that they had nothing ONLINE for anything before 1978. She also said that I could get someone at the Library to search for such files for a fee of $150 per hour with a two hour minimum. Now you come along and recommend it. Well, I just went back ONLINE, and it seems to me that there are search possibilities ONLINE, but you just have to know how to navigate their site. I'll go back tomorrow when I'm fresher. Thanks for the tip.I would never have gone back there without it. By the way, what do you think of the ASCAP site? That's another site I never planned on returning to, but maybe it's just another site that's only as good as your searching abilities.
              • lastofthebarons
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
                  I think you may well have a long outdated version as Steve Albin's email address is steve@... or steveja@... they are both working OK, as I have just emailed Steve and he has replied.

                  What are you trying to run Brian on? If you are on a Mac, perhaps you downloaded the Windows version or vice versa. I've done it myself with programmes.

                  Cheers,

                  Marc

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 24, 2012
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 25, 2012
                      Well, I've used the Library of Congress site for fifteen years and found it most useful for
                      anything before the mid 1960's - 78rpm especially

                      ASCAP is another matter; they updated?? the way the site works early this year
                      I'm still not sure it is an improvement on the old one, full of mistakes and double or even triple entries!!

                      BMI is another good site but not much use for any songs written before 1940

                      http://www.bmi.com/

                      Don't forget

                      http://www.78discography.com/

                      and here is one I contribute to regularly:

                      http://www.dbopm.com/

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 25, 2012
                        If you're on Windows, Patrice, I can't help you. I got too frustrated with it as it never seemed to do what I wanted, so I've been running Mac OS for the last 15 years, though I understand that the latest Windows OS is less frustrating than it used to be. My daughter swears by Linux by the way. Horses for courses.

                        Brian is well worth persevering with and I would suggest you try Steve Albin again. He is very helpful.

                        Cheers,

                        Marc

                      • lakehead_guy@tbaytel.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 25, 2012
                          Checkout this website for jazz music

                          http://archive.org/search.php?query=jazz%20AND%20collection%3Aaudio_music

                          Ross
                          myweb site is giantvinyl.gemm.com for jazz & other genre of vinyl

                          Well, I'll try--again. I talked to them a few days ago, and the woman said that they had nothing ONLINE for anything before 1978. She also said that I could get someone at the Library to search for such files for a fee of $150 per hour with a two hour minimum. Now you come along and recommend it. Well, I just went back ONLINE, and it seems to me that there are search possibilities ONLINE, but you just have to know how to navigate their site. I'll go back tomorrow when I'm fresher. Thanks for the tip.I would never have gone back there without it. By the way, what do you think of the ASCAP site? That's another site I never planned on returning to, but maybe it's just another site that's only as good as your searching abilities.

                          No virus found in this message.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 25, 2012
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 25, 2012
                              Never ever had a problem with Windows and I have run '95, '98, 2000 and XP with no bother at all. Linux is free so it makes sense if you don't wnt to give Bill Gates any more of your money.
                              TTFN - 007

                              ________________________________
                              If you're on Windows, Patrice, I can't help you. I got too frustrated with it as it never seemed to do what I wanted, so I've been running Mac OS for the last 15 years, though I understand that the latest Windows OS is less frustrating than it used to be. My daughter swears by Linux by the way. Horses for courses.

                              Brian is well worth persevering with and I would suggest you try Steve Albin again. He is very helpful.

                              Cheers,

                              Marc

                            • lastofthebarons
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 25, 2012
                                Obviously a hair-shirter ;o)

                                On 25 Sep 2012, at 14:52, Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                                > I always end up forcing Windows to do what I want, problems only arise when
                                > it does the unexpected !! But I chose it intendedly, after sadly leaving
                                > the Amiga community, so as to start understanding everyone else's troubles
                                > ;).

                              • Niku
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 26, 2012

                                  --
                                  Thanks, but I finally managed to contact Steve with another address. However, now that you remind me, I'm going to remind him to correct that out-of-date address. Now, I'm setting-up the "Brian" program. It's not easy to install and get running, but I think I've gotten past the worst part. I had to take a break, but I should be able to finish today.
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 26, 2012
                                    Well... yes, however, I might remind you both (and all) that you have the
                                    possibility to make any conversation private when, at some point, it stops
                                    including information concerning the other 840 subscribers.

                                    P.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 26, 2012
                                      When I hit reply or even reply all, RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, is the only email address I get, Patrice.

                                      However, if others are interested in Brian and considering their interest in RedHotJazz, I think they would be, then the exchange could well be of relevance to them.

                                      Brian is an excellent programme, not just for creating a specialist discography but also a discography of your own collection. I would point out that I have no other interest in Brian than as a very satisfied user.

                                      As an aside, another programme that members of this group may be interested in learning about, if they don't know it already, is Clickrepair and its companion apps., DeNoise and Equalizer, which do as the names suggest. Further details at http://www.clickrepair.net Same declaration as with Brian.

                                      Best wishes,

                                      Marcus

                                      On 26 Sep 2012, at 20:08, Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                                      > Well... yes, however, I might remind you both (and all) that you have the
                                      > possibility to make any conversation private when, at some point, it stops
                                      > including information concerning the other 840 subscribers.
                                      >
                                      > P.

                                    • Jack Kirschenbaum
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 26, 2012
                                        Marcus,
                                        Thank you for the heads up about Brian.

                                        ♫♫♫Enjoy♫♫♫
                                        ♪♪♪♪Jack Kaye♪♪♪♪

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 26, 2012
                                          That's what I thought, too, Marcus, but it sounds better coming from you. As to "Clickrepair," that certainly is of interest to me, and I'm going to be checking it out as soon as possible. I had heard that"Audacity"was the best for making such repairs, but I'm going to see what "Clickrepair can do. Thanks, again for bringing this to my attention.

                                          -------

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 27, 2012
                                            If you checkout http://www.giantvinyl.gemm.com you will find a website that is easy to use rather than going to gemm.com and then the giantvinyl catalogue. GEMM allows you to build and use your own website and list records for sale for FREE. The listings last as long as you want or until they are sold. If you’re looking for jazz you can search many ways. Drop me an email with your want list, and I’ll check my collection LPs, 45s, and 78s (some from the teens, 20s and 30s). Thank you for your time