Re: [RedHotJazz] Is it Benny Goodman? YES!

  • Nigel Burlinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2012
      Annette Hanshaw's recording of "I Don't Know Why" was recorded for Harmony
      on September 22 1931 under matrix W 365035-2 with the personnel:
      Benny Goodman (clt), Mannie Kelin (tpt), Irving Brodsky (p), Eddie Lang (g), Artie Bernstein (b)

      He had previously recorded it under the pseudonym "Midnight Minstrels"
      for Regal, England (MR 499) under matrix W151797-2 on September 18 1931
      with the personnel:
      Benny Goodman (clt & as), Charlie Tegarden (tpt), Glenn Miller (tbn),
      Sid Stoneburn (as), Larry Binyon (ts), Irving Brodsky (p), Johnny Williams (d) plus
      unknown tpt, g, b, Smith Ballew (vocal)

      the above from "BG on The Record"

      Lloyd Keating's record was made on August 20 1931 and issued on Harmony 6002H
      and Clarion 11002/Velvet Tone 10002 vocal by Jerry Solow

      For once the Wikipedia entry looks pretty accurate:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don't_Know_Why_(I_Just_Do)

      Nigel Burlinson

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2012
        Dear Nigel,

        You wrote:
        "He had previously recorded it under the pseudonym "Midnight Minstrels"
        for Regal, England (MR 499) under matrix W151797-2 on September 18 1931"

        This is most probably correct, but as a matter of interest, Jazz Directory (Carey & McCarthy 1951) gives the following information:
        Matrix 151797 'I Don't Know Why' issued under the pseudonym "THE RADIOLITES" on American Columbia 2540
        recorded in New York City September 13-15, 1931

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

      • Niku
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2012
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel Burlinson" <burlinson@...> wrote:

          > Annette Hanshaw's recording of "I Don't Know Why" was recorded for Harmony
          > on September 22 1931 under matrix W 365035-2 with the personnel:
          > Benny Goodman (clt), Mannie Kelin (tpt), Irving Brodsky (p), Eddie Lang (g), Artie Bernstein (b)
          >
          > He had previously recorded it under the pseudonym "Midnight Minstrels"
          > for Regal, England (MR 499) under matrix W151797-2 on September 18 1931
          > with the personnel:
          > Benny Goodman (clt & as), Charlie Tegarden (tpt), Glenn Miller (tbn),
          > Sid Stoneburn (as), Larry Binyon (ts), Irving Brodsky (p), Johnny Williams (d) plus
          > unknown tpt, g, b, Smith Ballew (vocal)

          ---
          Thanks for that. Now I can go ahead with my YouTube posting. It's nice to know that there is always someone here who can help with such questions; however, since I plan on posting about forty more videos, that would take a great deal of time. Therefore, I have ordered the book "Moanin' Low" by Ross Laird from Amazon. It cost about $150, but it will save me a lot of time, at least I hope it will. Thanks, again.
        • Nigel Burlinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2012
            Bob: You are right.

            Strangely, "BG on the record" does not list this issue
            (Columbia 2540D) but it is confirmed here:

            http://www.78discography.com/COL2500D.htm

            Nigel.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 2012
              There are four sides from this session, a Ben Selvin band. Rust doesn't list them but they are in Russell Connor's 'Benny Goodman - Listen to His Legacy' and also in Tom Lord's TJD on line.
              TTFN - 007