RE: [RedHotJazz] Carmelo Jari with Jelly Roll Morton?

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2012
      Hello Anthony

      I'm switching now between 'Big Ben' and 'Little Lawrence'.

      I can hear some similarities of tone in places but otherwise I hear two
      different players. The former is a much better and faster technician
      although also not without intonation problems. If anybody, he reminds me of
      Albert Nicholas.

      I am indebted to Michael Rader for:-

      Storyville 116, p. 58, an article by Johnny Simmen. "In 1961, Sandy
      (Williams) called Bernard Addison, the guitarist on the date (Gambling
      Jack/Fickle Fay Creep), and he confirmed the presence of Ward Pinkett, Sandy
      Williams, Billy Taylor, and Bill Beason. Sandy thought the clarinettist's
      name was Jo-Jo but Addison said the name was Tao, "a light-skinned coloured
      man from New Orleans, who, a few years later, died in New York."

      Which suggests that the mythical JeJo/JoJo was somehow transposed to the
      sessions of 19/20 March.