Steppin' Along - The Hotsy Totsy Boys

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 16, 2012
      Does anyone know this piece at all?

      As already mentioned - the core of my collection is on cassettes recorded from Brian Rust's radio show. Thanks to the links you have kindly provided I have had a lot of success identifying much of the stuff from the '20s. I have though, come up against a brick wall with this one.

      It is a different song from the William Kernell composition for "Words and Music" - the opening lyrics run;

      I'm always step, step, stepping along
      While I keep sing, sing, singing a (my?) song
      Happy go lucky all of the while
      You see me smile...

      which sounds enough like a show tune (maybe a fox-trot). However the band is quite a hot group and the vocals sound stilted by comparison.

      Obviously the info that I have was transcribed from Rust's comments and there are a few partial mishearings - "Mussel Shell Blues" instead of "Muscle Shoals Blues" the most glaring example. Those aside however, everything has proved very accurate so far so I'm pretty confident that the Artist & Title are good.

      Unfortunately I didn't know enough to note down label info (which he surely provided) - but as I don't even have a year for this one it may be that there wasn't much on the label.

      I do have a possible theory but it's a bit outlandish so I'll wait to see if anyone can help before I embarrass myself. A secondary theory is that it might be a british band as he covered them fairly comprehensively and of course there's much less info on the net in that area. But to my untutored ear that doesn't seem likely.

      If anyone would like me to I can upload an mp3 to the files section - worth a listen in my opinion - but as a newbie I won't do so until I know it's ok.

      Thanks for any help you can offer.

      Ian
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 16, 2012
        > If anyone would like me to I can upload an mp3 to the files section -
        > worth a listen in my opinion - but as a newbie I won't do so until I know
        > it's ok.

        It *is* OK, Ian, the restrictions about the storage space which we mentioned
        in 2004 no longer apply, there must be over 80 Mo left in the "Files"
        section.
        (and of course if you or anyone has trouble with the upload procedure, I can
        help)

        Patrice
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 17, 2012
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou" <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

          > > If anyone would like me to I can upload an mp3 to the files section -
          > > worth a listen in my opinion - but as a newbie I won't do so until I know
          > > it's ok.
          >
          > It *is* OK, Ian, the restrictions about the storage space which we mentioned
          > in 2004 no longer apply, there must be over 80 Mo left in the "Files"
          > section.
          > (and of course if you or anyone has trouble with the upload procedure, I can
          > help)
          >
          > Patrice

          Thanks - I've taken the liberty of creating a folder called "Unidentified" to make it easier to find. I'm happy to delete that if you prefer. I had several goes but for some reason it is not showing as a sound file (is this a Firefox issue?) but clicking on it allows save or play options.

          I was a bit heavy handed with the Dolby NR back then and it has lost some dynamic range but is not too bad.

          Ian
        • Niku
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 19, 2012
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <denisbloodnok@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know this piece at all?
            >
            > As already mentioned - the core of my collection is on cassettes recorded from Brian Rust's radio show.

            Speaking of "Brian Rust," is anyone here interested in his 90-minute interview of Annette Hanshaw? I have it, and I can direct you to it.
          • Ian
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 19, 2012
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Niku" <xyzagain@...> wrote:

              > Speaking of "Brian Rust," is anyone here interested in his 90-minute interview of Annette Hanshaw? I have it, and I can direct you to it.

              Very much so thanks - be great to hear him again.
            • Ian
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 19, 2012
                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <denisbloodnok@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know this piece at all?
                >

                > Thanks for any help you can offer.
                >
                > Ian

                Turns out it is actually "Hotsey Totsey Boys" - it's taken me almost a

                week to find something that was only slightly misspelled!.

                Having sorted that out I was able to find out from Mr Abrams' great site

                that it was issued on Clover 1710, Mat. 3887 - and that the composer is

                R.Waters.

                I also found some breadcrumbs left from the now defunct ToNY website on

                anglefire -

                http://www.angelfire.com/music5/tony2003/html/nichols_dcut5p.html in case

                you're interested - They were offering a home-brewed CD of lesser known

                bands led by Red Nichols and included this number (giving a recording

                date of April 1926).

                Do any of you folks know this group and can I trust their attribution?

                Their current site - http://www.tonycds.com - looks pretty serious (and

                nigh on impossible to join).

                Alternatively, does anyone know anything more about the composer

                "R.Waters"?

                Cheers

                Ian
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012
                  I am a member of the ToNY group and have been for
                  some 15 years. The side of the Hotsy Totsy Boys was
                  from my own 78 collection.

                  ToNY (The Toast of New York) is pretty loosely run and
                  we are not exclusivists at all.

                  The website is way out of date but we are all volunteers.
                  We just need someone to step up and bring it up to date.

                  I will forward your email to a member in NY to see what
                  might be the impact on our resources if many of the RHJ
                  folks wish to become members.

                  Jim Baldwin

                • Nick Dellow
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012
                    I have a copy of Steppin' Along on 78 and would be quite happy to provide a
                    high quality mp3 via email to any rhj member who would like to hear it. By
                    the way, my copy is NML 1152 (NML = National Music Lovers)

                    Nick

                    On 20 September 2012 14:59, Jim <jimmiejazz@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I am a member of the ToNY group and have been for
                    > some 15 years. The side of the Hotsy Totsy Boys was
                    > from my own 78 collection.
                    >
                    > ToNY (The Toast of New York) is pretty loosely run and
                    > we are not exclusivists at all.
                    >
                    > The website is way out of date but we are all volunteers.
                    > We just need someone to step up and bring it up to date.
                    >
                    > I will forward your email to a member in NY to see what
                    > might be the impact on our resources if many of the RHJ
                    > folks wish to become members.
                    >
                    > Jim Baldwin

                  • Niku
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <denisbloodnok@...> wrote:

                      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Niku" <xyzagain@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Speaking of "Brian Rust," is anyone here interested in his 90-minute interview of Annette Hanshaw? I have it, and I can direct you to it.
                      > >

                      > Very much so thanks - be great to hear him again.
                      >----
                      Okay, so how shall we do it? The file in my iTunes library is 91 minutes long and 161 MB, too much to send as an E-mail attachment. There are two other ways, and I think the best of the two for you would be for me to send you the key to my Dropbox account that houses this recording. I suppose I could post the key here. I'll try that, but it may take me a day or two to get to it. If I did this all the time, I could do it in my sleep, but my lack of confidence is merely an expression of my lack of experience. I'll do it, but it won't be today.
                    • Niku
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012
                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <denisbloodnok@...> wrote:

                        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Niku" <xyzagain@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Speaking of "Brian Rust," is anyone here interested in his 90-minute interview of Annette Hanshaw? I have it, and I can direct you to it.
                        > >

                        > Very much so thanks - be great to hear him again.
                        >-----
                        Okay, here's the link--I hope. It's not the way I should have done it, but I don't know what that way is. The important thing is, this link works, at least it did for me when I tested it. Let me know what happened--good or bad. <https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk42hzovmd8p114/Brian%20Rust%27s%20interview%20of%20Annette%20Hanshaw-complete%20%28cleaned%29.mp3>
                      • John Schott
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012
                          I AM!!!

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012
                            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Nick Dellow <nick.dellow@...> wrote:

                            > I have a copy of Steppin' Along on 78 and would be quite happy to provide a
                            > high quality mp3 via email to any rhj member who would like to hear it. By
                            > the way, my copy is NML 1152 (NML = National Music Lovers)
                            >

                            > Nick
                            >

                            > On 20 September 2012 14:59, Jim <jimmiejazz@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > I am a member of the ToNY group and have been for
                            > > some 15 years. The side of the Hotsy Totsy Boys was
                            > > from my own 78 collection.
                            > >
                            > > ToNY (The Toast of New York) is pretty loosely run and
                            > > we are not exclusivists at all.
                            > >
                            > > The website is way out of date but we are all volunteers.
                            > > We just need someone to step up and bring it up to date.
                            > >
                            > > I will forward your email to a member in NY to see what
                            > > might be the impact on our resources if many of the RHJ
                            > > folks wish to become members.
                            > >
                            > > Jim Baldwin

                            > > Nick - That would be brilliant. Much to my surprise it is the
                            only one of my collection which I've been unable to find a better
                            copy of. TYVM

                            Jim - I didn't mean to imply anything - I was really just
                            speculating whether the fact that you obviously control membership &
                            activities meant that I could take the citation of Red Nichols as
                            authoritative. Your reply persuades me that I can.

                            Sadly I don't think I have anything useful to bring to the group in
                            skills or knowledge so there's no point in me applying to join.
                            But thanks anyway to you and the other members for your efforts - it
                            may have been accidental but it has been of direct help to me.

                            Ian

                          • Ian
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 21, 2012
                              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Niku" <xyzagain@...> wrote:

                              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <denisbloodnok@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Niku" <xyzagain@> wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > Speaking of "Brian Rust," is anyone here interested in his 90-minute interview of Annette Hanshaw? I have it, and I can direct you to it.
                              > > >

                              > > Very much so thanks - be great to hear him again.
                              > >-----
                              > Okay, here's the link-

                              Thanks Niku - in case anyone's interested someone has uploaded 3 or 4
                              complete editions of Rust's Radio show "Mardi Gras" to YouTube (I'd
                              forgotten the name of the show tbh). The uploader has their own
                              website with one of the videos embeded here;
                              http://agentlemansdomain.typepad.com/a_gentlemans_domain/jazz_jottings/
                              but if you just put Brian Rust Mardi Gras into YouTube's search box
                              you'll get them all.

                              And finally (I won't keep going on about him) I discovered by chance
                              today that his personal record collection has been broken up and some
                              of it has come up for internet auction, along with some of his books,
                              here;
                              http://www.jazzhound.net/78-rpm-record-auction.html

                              He had been a rigorous collector since the 1920s and must have had
                              one of the largest and most comprehensive private collections in the
                              world. Clearly I don't know the circumstances but it seems terribly
                              sad that it couldn't have been kept intact.

                              Ian
                            • eslonina
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
                                Hello - Have there been any more developments on this issue?

                                Thanks so much,

                                --Ed Slonina

                                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Jim <jimmiejazz@...> wrote:

                                > I am a member of the ToNY group and have been for
                                > some 15 years. The side of the Hotsy Totsy Boys was
                                > from my own 78 collection.
                                >
                                > ToNY (The Toast of New York) is pretty loosely run and
                                > we are not exclusivists at all.
                                >
                                > The website is way out of date but we are all volunteers.
                                > We just need someone to step up and bring it up to date.
                                >
                                > I will forward your email to a member in NY to see what
                                > might be the impact on our resources if many of the RHJ
                                > folks wish to become members.
                                >
                                > Jim Baldwin

                              • Jim
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012
                                  Hi Ed-

                                  I've forwarded your email to the main guide of the ToNY group.

                                  There may be a problem in accommodating a large influx of new members
                                  as it all voluntary effort. I'm just one of the early grunts who is also
                                  on the
                                  RHJ list.

                                  We have a website but it is way out of date so it is a problem to even have
                                  potential new members review it.

                                  Either I or the guide will get back to the RHJ .

                                  Thanks for your patience and continuing interest.

                                  Jim
                                  On 11/18/2012 2:20 PM, eslonina wrote:

                                  > Hello - Have there been any more developments on this issue?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks so much,
                                  >
                                  > --Ed Slonina
                                  >
                                  > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim <jimmiejazz@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I am a member of the ToNY group and have been for
                                  > > some 15 years. The side of the Hotsy Totsy Boys was
                                  > > from my own 78 collection.
                                  > >
                                  > > ToNY (The Toast of New York) is pretty loosely run and
                                  > > we are not exclusivists at all.
                                  > >
                                  > > The website is way out of date but we are all volunteers.
                                  > > We just need someone to step up and bring it up to date.
                                  > >
                                  > > I will forward your email to a member in NY to see what
                                  > > might be the impact on our resources if many of the RHJ
                                  > > folks wish to become members.
                                  > >
                                  > > Jim Baldwin

                                • Jim
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012
                                    I discussed this with one of the ToNY guides. He says the ToNY group is
                                    interested particularly as long as the new people wanting to join are able
                                    to bring something to the club archives as "trades" of interest to us.

                                    Please look at our now-defunct website here:
                                    http://www.tonycds.com/

                                    Not all of the pages are public but those that are will help you decide
                                    if the ToNY group is a fit for you. Ask if your involvement will help
                                    the ToNY group. ;-) We___/know/_ we can help you if you are interested in
                                    pre-1950 jazz and pop.

                                    We need to how many RHJ folks are interested in joining ToNY?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012
                                      Please ignore, wrong reply to wrong message