Welcome to the group (was: Thanks)

  • Bob Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2012
      Dear Ian,

      Welcome to the group. The most important thing is listening to and enjoying this kind of music. I've been listening to and collecting this kind of music ever since I was captivated by going to a George Webb Dixielanders' concert in 1947.

      Have you also discovered the "20's jazz" website? If not, then use this URL to listen to a really great record, and you will also find where you can register your E-mail address:
      http://www.20sjazz.com/page/1446.html

      Good luck with your digitizing. I've been doing mine for the last five years, ever since multi-GB harddiscs became available.

      My collection is on 78's, cassettes, reel-to-reel tapes, LP's, EP's, SP's, MiniDiscs, CD's, DVD's, and I've even got one 8" LP, and one 10" EP on shellac.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Ian
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2012
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Bob Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:

        > Dear Ian,
        >
        > Welcome to the group. The most important thing is listening to and enjoying this kind of music. I've been listening to and collecting this kind of music ever since I was captivated by going to a George Webb Dixielanders' concert in 1947.
        > [Snip]
        > My collection is on 78's, cassettes, reel-to-reel tapes, LP's, EP's, SP's, MiniDiscs, CD's, DVD's, and I've even got one 8" LP, and one 10" EP on shellac.
        >
        > Kind Regards
        >
        > Bob Smith

        Not sure what happened to the topic â€" the replies seem to have got divorced from my original post but thanks everyone for the links/suggestions â€" I will certainly investigate.

        Bob
        I can't compete with that.

        As a student in London (England, that is - just in case :p ) I discovered Brian Rust's Capital Radio show which I taped periodically. Being young and stupid - I then edited these down, kept the tracks I liked, anthologised the major names as single volumes and made cassettes of the others as 'various artists' in (roughly) chronological order. I now have no idea of the quality of what I discarded and no record of Mr Rust's comfortable, informative delivery. What I do have is a lot of music, from source records of varying quality, which were about 4th generation copies by the time I’d finished with them.

        I still have a badly spliced copy of The Blue Lyres (aka Ambrose’ Orchestra) “You Rascal You” where they faded it out and back in for a news bulletin reporting the storming of the Iranian embassy in London. They were a Brit dance band of course but I think it’s a decent version â€" not entirely divorced from it’s jazz origins: you can find it here if you don’t know it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Td-i66j4Is

        By the way, before I logged on here I discovered that I had once again failed to win an auction for a 1978 copy of Rust’s “Jazz Records” on ebay â€" there always seems to be just one bidder who knows the real value of the thing.

        Ian