Re: Carmelo Jari with Jelly Roll Morton?

  • ROBERT R. CALDER
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2012
      Greetings, Group!
                                 Alberto Socarras was an all round reeds player, presumably several other group members have the issue of Storyville with the article on him.  Is it a tin whistle whose appearance on a Clarence Williams number (possibly "What if I Do?"_) gets referred to Socarras' unusual resort to flute, on which he did perform and record with Chick Webb?

      He couldn't have got along sticking with simply flute in the 1920s as a Latin and Jazz player. I seem to remember some obscure 1920s dance band recordings which also featured flute, but I don't have access to my files at the moment. They rather undermine claims that he was the first flautist on a jazz recording  -- which is presumably why he was misunderstood to have played only flute.

      But somebody better placed can look up the Storyville article  -- and unlike me this week even listen to the recordings cited,

      ciao

      Robert R. Calder

    • stevenabrams78jazz
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 13, 2012
        Andy Sannella made some victor records around 1930
        One example I have is Bubbling Over With Love.
        Many others on the Grey Gull house band sides.
        You could use these to compare to the unkown white
        player on the Moron sides.
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 14, 2012
          Nice to have interest in this thread again.

          No doubt Socarras on the Bennett's for he is heard on flute on one side from
          the session.

          He was a fast and technically pretty proficient clarinettist. The thing
          about the 1930 RHPs -- apart from the session with Albert -- is the poor
          quality, technically and musically, of the clarinettists.

          My conclusions are in my post of 15 November 2011 . With subsequent
          information, I now place Tio almost certainly on the session of 9 October.

        • anthony coleman
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2012
            Did you listen to the solo (Big Ben) again? Please do, and compare!

            Anthony

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2012
              Hello Anthony

              I'm switching now between 'Big Ben' and 'Little Lawrence'.

              I can hear some similarities of tone in places but otherwise I hear two
              different players. The former is a much better and faster technician
              although also not without intonation problems. If anybody, he reminds me of
              Albert Nicholas.

              I am indebted to Michael Rader for:-

              Storyville 116, p. 58, an article by Johnny Simmen. "In 1961, Sandy
              (Williams) called Bernard Addison, the guitarist on the date (Gambling
              Jack/Fickle Fay Creep), and he confirmed the presence of Ward Pinkett, Sandy
              Williams, Billy Taylor, and Bill Beason. Sandy thought the clarinettist's
              name was Jo-Jo but Addison said the name was Tao, "a light-skinned coloured
              man from New Orleans, who, a few years later, died in New York."

              Which suggests that the mythical JeJo/JoJo was somehow transposed to the
              sessions of 19/20 March.