Re: [RedHotJazz] Thanks to Scot, the mods and members of this group

  • Andrew Taylor
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012
      On 9/2/2012 10:41 AM, liviolaurenti wrote:

      > *Often I am somewhat dubious that our friends in the group are really
      keen on listening to and enjoying what was produced in the twenties and
      thirties. Apparently there's more interest about who's who in an old
      poster rather than what the actual sound was of that era . *

      Hey Livio,

      [Allow me to entertain myself with faux outrage but a real response -
      let Patrice take the high road]

      That's a bold statement, and dare I say a condescending one.
      I'll be the hundredth guy to say NONSENSE!

      It's easy to be solipsistic, but you shouldn't question that all the
      people on this list and many besides still value and listen to music of
      the 20s and 30s.

      I count myself a narrow lightweight in this crowd and still listen to
      20s jazz and have the stuff I do know down pat. Over the past 20 years
      I've gotten most of the Hot Fives & Sevens by heart, as well as lots of
      Beiderbecke, Bechet, and most of the cats you mention, all of whom I've
      listened to (if you like Lang, check out him and Lonnie Johnson). I'd
      take on anybody when it comes to Armstrong recordings (hum a few bars of
      a solo and I'll finish it, off-key perhaps) and still some of whom
      could probably do the same on several hundred more recordings. Being
      born in 1970, I don't even have the cultural roots and near-contemporary
      experience of older members. I enjoy reading all the great books about
      Jazz, and engaging in a little /History Detectives/ about artifacts in
      no way precludes listening to the music and appreciating it.

      This is especially true when so many recordings are available on Youtube
      and those of us with Internet access can readily fill in gaps in our
      listening experience, even rare cuts. To demonstrate this, I'm going to
      head to Youtube, type in "Bunk Johnson" and see if the old man's
      later-day recordings demonstrate any of his legendary tone.

      Plenty of people with true af\ficion.

      Regards, Andrew Taylor

      Andrew Taylor, MLS
      Co-Curator, Visual Resources
      713-348-4836

    • Andrew Taylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012
        p.s. - just enjoyed watching your Trieste Red Hot Stompers. - Andrew

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
            Thinking about rare gems on YouTube, here's a Chicago harp player who
            plays blues in a Classic Jazz-influenced "First Postion" style, "Rhythm
            Willie" Hood. Some of you might enjoy it. Little Walter said he was the
            only harmonica player he feared facing in a cutting heads competition.
            A blues and a very straight St. James Infirmary, both from 1940, but
            certainly looking to the Jazz age. Has some trivia on him as well.
            Boarding House Blues <http://youtu.be/4orCmvgijn8>
            Breathatakin' Blues (St. James Infirmary) <http://youtu.be/vYk4SRP_8FY>
            - Andrew Taylor

          • liviolaurenti
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
              Both great stuff !!!

              Tks , Livio

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                Thanks Livio, sorry if I was a hothead - Andrew