Re: [RedHotJazz] Thanks to Scot, the mods and members of this group

  • liviolaurenti
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2 8:41 AM
      I'm so glad to read this comment, because it's in regard of listening to the music that is a great part of our heritage . Often I am somewhat dubious that our friends in the group are really keen on listening to and enjoying what was produced in the twenties and thirties. Apparently there's more interest about who's who in an old poster rather than what the actual sound was of that era .

      Cheers Livio

      I don't get onto these sites as much as I'd like, but whenever the bug to listen to that red hot Jazz hits, I am always glad to go to the Archive and do some exploring and coming here to see what's new. I'm copying Scott's email address (which I hear is might not be working), but if he still reads this group I want to say that I've learned so much about the birth and blossoming of Jazz and truly enjoy exploring the artists that were made available on his site. When a person loves music and has the ability to share that love with others, that is a wonderful thing! Artists like Armstrong, Bechet, Biederbecke, Dodds, Henderson, Lang, Morton, NORK, Oliver, Ory, Trumbauer, and Venuti (to name a few) have been well served by these great sites and their memories have not been allowed to fade.

      Thanks to you all!
      Ron

    • Ron D.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2 10:53 AM
[...]

      • ronbo11_11
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2 10:55 AM
          Of course it doesn't help to misspell Scott's name in the subject line...
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3 3:25 AM
            The thing, Livio, is that this internet place is neither a concert hall nor a private living-room, so it is really hard to do anything else than talk. And I suppose that if the conversation boiled down to naming tunes and saying how much we appreciate each of them, we would never have reached 840 registered members.

            See, we are a peculiar category of animals, not the only one needing to understand “how”, but maybe the only one which cannot help wondering “why”. Of course normal human beings can fully enjoy music without knowing what it is, where it comes from, who played it... and keep the pleasure for themselves, since it is always a distortion to put words on individual experience and emotion. But the need to go further, learn, search, communicate, digress, and maybe split hairs are the best catalysers we have found for our instinctive ambition of sharing them – apart from actually playing, of course, which is by all means the most natural one.
            Encouraging visitors to discover early jazz is the purpose of this group, as much as it was Scott’s when he created the Archive – and this is why I decided from the start that our discussions should remain public. Most people, unless they fell into the Magic Potion when they were little, need some kind of kickstart or introduction to fall in love with music from different countries, cultures, or times... and I wish lots of young folks reading these posts to think “these folks are crazy”, and realize that we must be crazy over *something*, which is the essential!

            Thanks to Ron, anyway, for his positive comments and encouragements which are more than ever needed.

            Patrice

            I'm so glad to read this comment, because it's in regard of listening to the music that is a great part of our heritage . Often I am somewhat dubious that our friends in the group are really keen on listening to and enjoying what was produced in the twenties and thirties. Apparently there's more interest about who's who in an old poster rather than what the actual sound was of that era .

            Cheers Livio

          • Andrew Taylor
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4 1:09 PM
              On 9/2/2012 10:41 AM, liviolaurenti wrote:

              > *Often I am somewhat dubious that our friends in the group are really
              keen on listening to and enjoying what was produced in the twenties and
              thirties. Apparently there's more interest about who's who in an old
              poster rather than what the actual sound was of that era . *

              Hey Livio,

              [Allow me to entertain myself with faux outrage but a real response -
              let Patrice take the high road]

              That's a bold statement, and dare I say a condescending one.
              I'll be the hundredth guy to say NONSENSE!

              It's easy to be solipsistic, but you shouldn't question that all the
              people on this list and many besides still value and listen to music of
              the 20s and 30s.

              I count myself a narrow lightweight in this crowd and still listen to
              20s jazz and have the stuff I do know down pat. Over the past 20 years
              I've gotten most of the Hot Fives & Sevens by heart, as well as lots of
              Beiderbecke, Bechet, and most of the cats you mention, all of whom I've
              listened to (if you like Lang, check out him and Lonnie Johnson). I'd
              take on anybody when it comes to Armstrong recordings (hum a few bars of
              a solo and I'll finish it, off-key perhaps) and still some of whom
              could probably do the same on several hundred more recordings. Being
              born in 1970, I don't even have the cultural roots and near-contemporary
              experience of older members. I enjoy reading all the great books about
              Jazz, and engaging in a little /History Detectives/ about artifacts in
              no way precludes listening to the music and appreciating it.

              This is especially true when so many recordings are available on Youtube
              and those of us with Internet access can readily fill in gaps in our
              listening experience, even rare cuts. To demonstrate this, I'm going to
              head to Youtube, type in "Bunk Johnson" and see if the old man's
              later-day recordings demonstrate any of his legendary tone.

              Plenty of people with true af\ficion.

              Regards, Andrew Taylor

              Andrew Taylor, MLS
              Co-Curator, Visual Resources
              713-348-4836

            • Andrew Taylor
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4 1:29 PM
                p.s. - just enjoyed watching your Trieste Red Hot Stompers. - Andrew

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4 2:02 PM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 5 7:38 AM
                    Thinking about rare gems on YouTube, here's a Chicago harp player who
                    plays blues in a Classic Jazz-influenced "First Postion" style, "Rhythm
                    Willie" Hood. Some of you might enjoy it. Little Walter said he was the
                    only harmonica player he feared facing in a cutting heads competition.
                    A blues and a very straight St. James Infirmary, both from 1940, but
                    certainly looking to the Jazz age. Has some trivia on him as well.
                    Boarding House Blues <http://youtu.be/4orCmvgijn8>
                    Breathatakin' Blues (St. James Infirmary) <http://youtu.be/vYk4SRP_8FY>
                    - Andrew Taylor

                  • liviolaurenti
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 5 9:10 AM
                      Both great stuff !!!

                      Tks , Livio

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 5 1:25 PM
                        Thanks Livio, sorry if I was a hothead - Andrew