Re: [RedHotJazz] Museum poster ?

  • Bob Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
      Dear JT Dyamond

      Sorry, but I can't agree. Kid Ory was a smallish, dapper man just like the
      man on the right. He played the trombone right-handed, and his trombones(s),
      in all the pictures I've seen, had a circular balancing weight on the tuning
      slide that is not present on the trombone on the left.
      He wasn't born in New Orleans, but moved there when he was 25 years old, and led a very successful
      jazz orchestra during World War I.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • fearfeasa
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
        What have Ory's birthplace and his age when he moved to New Orleans got to do with the poster in question ?

        I know he played the trombone righthanded : didn't I say the picture of him was mirrored ?

        You're quite correct in describing him as "a smallish, dapper man" and so is the man on the left, which you'll realise if you examine the perspective carefully.

        The drawing has been taken from a late photograph of Ory and then mirrored so that he's facing into the page rather than out of it.

        As for the "circular balancing weight" — is it not possible that he had more than one trombone during his long career ?

        JT Dyamond

        On Sep 01, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Bob Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:

        > Dear JT Dyamond
        >
        > Sorry, but I can't agree. Kid Ory was a smallish, dapper man just like the
        > man on the right. He played the trombone right-handed, and his trombones(s),
        > in all the pictures I've seen, had a circular balancing weight on the tuning
        > slide that is not present on the trombone on the left.
        > He wasn't born in New Orleans, but moved there when he was 25 years old, and led a very successful
        > jazz orchestra during World War I.
        >
        > Kind Regards
        >
        > Bob Smith

      • Ory1886
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
          Ory was born Christmas day 1886 according to his baptismal certificate. He is on the 1910 census in New Orleans.
          For more read my book Creole Trombone which comes out Oct. 2.
          Regards,
          John McCusker

          Sent from my iPhone