Re: Museum poster ?

  • Martin J
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2012
      Don't have an answer, but the style might place it in the late 1960's - kind of a copy of the San Francisco psychedelic rock posters of that time.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
        For some reason, the URL to the picture http://tinyurl.com/8kcamc5
        landed on the message board, but never reached my mailbox. This is not the first time, I would beg anyone in the same situation to please report it (privately) so that I know if I should blame my provider, or fix something with the group’s functionalities.

        Doesn’t anyone think that the “left-handed trombonist” somewhat looks like W.C. Handy ?
        And wasn’t the aborted project of a jazz museum previously discussed here years ago?

        Patrice

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
          The "left-handed" trombonist is Kid Ory, mirrored. All the musicians on this poster have been badly drawn from photographs. The poster is worthless, except as a curio.

          JT Dyamond

          Sent from iCloud

          On Sep 01, 2012, at 06:16 PM, Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

          > For some reason, the URL to the picture http://tinyurl.com/8kcamc5
          > landed on the message board, but never reached my mailbox. This is not the first time, I would beg anyone in the same situation to please report it (privately) so that I know if I should blame my provider, or fix something with the group’s functionalities.
          >
          > Doesn’t anyone think that the “left-handed trombonist” somewhat looks like W.C. Handy ?
          > And wasn’t the aborted project of a jazz museum previously discussed here years ago?
          >
          > Patrice

        • Bob Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
            Dear JT Dyamond

            Sorry, but I can't agree. Kid Ory was a smallish, dapper man just like the
            man on the right. He played the trombone right-handed, and his trombones(s),
            in all the pictures I've seen, had a circular balancing weight on the tuning
            slide that is not present on the trombone on the left.
            He wasn't born in New Orleans, but moved there when he was 25 years old, and led a very successful
            jazz orchestra during World War I.

            Kind Regards

            Bob Smith

          • fearfeasa
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
              What have Ory's birthplace and his age when he moved to New Orleans got to do with the poster in question ?

              I know he played the trombone righthanded : didn't I say the picture of him was mirrored ?

              You're quite correct in describing him as "a smallish, dapper man" and so is the man on the left, which you'll realise if you examine the perspective carefully.

              The drawing has been taken from a late photograph of Ory and then mirrored so that he's facing into the page rather than out of it.

              As for the "circular balancing weight" — is it not possible that he had more than one trombone during his long career ?

              JT Dyamond

              On Sep 01, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Bob Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:

              > Dear JT Dyamond
              >
              > Sorry, but I can't agree. Kid Ory was a smallish, dapper man just like the
              > man on the right. He played the trombone right-handed, and his trombones(s),
              > in all the pictures I've seen, had a circular balancing weight on the tuning
              > slide that is not present on the trombone on the left.
              > He wasn't born in New Orleans, but moved there when he was 25 years old, and led a very successful
              > jazz orchestra during World War I.
              >
              > Kind Regards
              >
              > Bob Smith

            • Ory1886
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
                Ory was born Christmas day 1886 according to his baptismal certificate. He is on the 1910 census in New Orleans.
                For more read my book Creole Trombone which comes out Oct. 2.
                Regards,
                John McCusker

                Sent from my iPhone