Museum poster ?

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2012
      I am forwarding a request from a visitor who probably hesitates joining the group for a single question :

      > Hello,
      > My name is Zach Engelman, I'm currently a student at Michigan State University.
      > Recently while going through my Grandmother's belongings, I stumbled upon an
      > old "New Orleans Jazz Museum" poster. Pictured in the poster are King Oliver, Jim
      > Robinson, Kid Ory, Jellyroll Morton and "the original Dixieland band". I've taken
      > the poster to numerous antique collectors, but none seem to know much information
      > about the origins.

      I will send the poster to the group’s “photos” section in a few minutes, link will follow.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 2012
        The picture should be there :
        http://tinyurl.com/8kcamc5

      • Bob Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 31, 2012
          The poster is very interesting in that there aren't many museums that feature or featured jazz musicians. I mean, of course, other than the museums specializing in a particular musician, such as the Louis Armstrong museum.
          I'm a bit puzzled by the trombonist on the left. It can't be Jim Robinson for several reasons - he wasn't left -handed, his hair and hair-style were totally different from the man in the picture, and I doubt very much whether he was sufficiently known at the time the poster was made. After all, he was a dock worker, and virtually an amateur musician, until he became known in the jazz revival in the early 1940's.
          The only left-handed trombonist that I know of was Albert Wynn. He was born in New Orleans (1907), but moved to Chicago at an early age. Then again, he didn't have the physique and hair-style of the man in the picture.
          Face and hair style remind me most of George Brunis, but he wasn't left-handed. It is, however, possible that the picture was reversed to achieve a pictorial balance.

          Bob Smith

        • Martin J
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2012
            Don't have an answer, but the style might place it in the late 1960's - kind of a copy of the San Francisco psychedelic rock posters of that time.
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
              For some reason, the URL to the picture http://tinyurl.com/8kcamc5
              landed on the message board, but never reached my mailbox. This is not the first time, I would beg anyone in the same situation to please report it (privately) so that I know if I should blame my provider, or fix something with the group’s functionalities.

              Doesn’t anyone think that the “left-handed trombonist” somewhat looks like W.C. Handy ?
              And wasn’t the aborted project of a jazz museum previously discussed here years ago?

              Patrice

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
                The "left-handed" trombonist is Kid Ory, mirrored. All the musicians on this poster have been badly drawn from photographs. The poster is worthless, except as a curio.

                JT Dyamond

                Sent from iCloud

                On Sep 01, 2012, at 06:16 PM, Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                > For some reason, the URL to the picture http://tinyurl.com/8kcamc5
                > landed on the message board, but never reached my mailbox. This is not the first time, I would beg anyone in the same situation to please report it (privately) so that I know if I should blame my provider, or fix something with the group’s functionalities.
                >
                > Doesn’t anyone think that the “left-handed trombonist” somewhat looks like W.C. Handy ?
                > And wasn’t the aborted project of a jazz museum previously discussed here years ago?
                >
                > Patrice

              • Bob Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
                  Dear JT Dyamond

                  Sorry, but I can't agree. Kid Ory was a smallish, dapper man just like the
                  man on the right. He played the trombone right-handed, and his trombones(s),
                  in all the pictures I've seen, had a circular balancing weight on the tuning
                  slide that is not present on the trombone on the left.
                  He wasn't born in New Orleans, but moved there when he was 25 years old, and led a very successful
                  jazz orchestra during World War I.

                  Kind Regards

                  Bob Smith

                • fearfeasa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
                    What have Ory's birthplace and his age when he moved to New Orleans got to do with the poster in question ?

                    I know he played the trombone righthanded : didn't I say the picture of him was mirrored ?

                    You're quite correct in describing him as "a smallish, dapper man" and so is the man on the left, which you'll realise if you examine the perspective carefully.

                    The drawing has been taken from a late photograph of Ory and then mirrored so that he's facing into the page rather than out of it.

                    As for the "circular balancing weight" — is it not possible that he had more than one trombone during his long career ?

                    JT Dyamond

                    On Sep 01, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Bob Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:

                    > Dear JT Dyamond
                    >
                    > Sorry, but I can't agree. Kid Ory was a smallish, dapper man just like the
                    > man on the right. He played the trombone right-handed, and his trombones(s),
                    > in all the pictures I've seen, had a circular balancing weight on the tuning
                    > slide that is not present on the trombone on the left.
                    > He wasn't born in New Orleans, but moved there when he was 25 years old, and led a very successful
                    > jazz orchestra during World War I.
                    >
                    > Kind Regards
                    >
                    > Bob Smith

                  • Ory1886
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
                      Ory was born Christmas day 1886 according to his baptismal certificate. He is on the 1910 census in New Orleans.
                      For more read my book Creole Trombone which comes out Oct. 2.
                      Regards,
                      John McCusker

                      Sent from my iPhone