Re: [RedHotJazz] Research project and I could use your help,please!

  • JParadisHagar
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
      Yes, I've seen both these entries -- and seen some of the results off the
      internet, where in at least one instance these entries have been garbled
      together and confused with someone else altogether!

      I'm working on this project with the tuba/baritone sax player Howard
      Johnson, who brought me this fascinating story about Bass Edwards;
      apparently Edwards was very well known and respected in his day. A couple
      of the stories we're trying to run down include the "Soundie" that Edwards
      made maybe in the 30s or 40s playing a tuba solo (unique for the time), and
      his interaction with Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Symphony -- at the time
      the Symphony was being formed the Urban League questioned why Toscanini
      didn't audition any other tuba players but selected William Bell. (Not to
      put off on Bill Bell, he was one of the greatest tuba players of our time,
      but.) The furor in the press was such that Toscanini was forced to listen
      to an audition by Bass Edwards. Looking for more information on that as
      well.

      Thank you for your help, I appreciate getting more information.

      Jennifer Paradis