RE: [RedHotJazz] Research project and I could use your help,please!

  • Roger Strong
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
      The LORD discography lists 10 separate sessions for Henry 'Bass'
      Edwards -from the Clarence Williams session of January 4th,1926
      through sessions with The Savoy Bearcats and with Lew Leslie and Adelaide
      Hall to the Jungle Town Stompers (Luis Russell)
      in 1929 and lastly sessions with Nobel Sissle-the last in England in 1929.
      Someone with a copy of Lord could help you with the details.

      Roger Strong

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
        He also has an entry in the New grove Dictionary of Jazz, which is based on
        Chilton¹s entry, and may be easier to access. Received wisdom is certainly
        that he became an orchestral musician.

        Chilton notes that he has often been confused with the bass player Sumner
        ŒKing¹ Edwards. I know from my researches into their activities in Europe
        and South America that this confusion occurs in contemporary sources as well
        as in historical sources! (Which is unique in my experience.)

        on 21/08/2012 08:11, ALAN BOND at alan_bond@... wrote:

        > Hi Jennifer,
        >                       There is an entry for Henry 'Bass' Edwards in John
        > Chilton's book 'Who's Who of Jazz' which was originally published in 1972 but
        > which has been revised and amended a few times since. The ISBN is
        > 0-306-80243-0 if you wanted to get a copy or check it out in your local
        > library.
        > TTFN - 007
        >
        > ________________________________

      • JParadisHagar
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
          Yes, I've seen both these entries -- and seen some of the results off the
          internet, where in at least one instance these entries have been garbled
          together and confused with someone else altogether!

          I'm working on this project with the tuba/baritone sax player Howard
          Johnson, who brought me this fascinating story about Bass Edwards;
          apparently Edwards was very well known and respected in his day. A couple
          of the stories we're trying to run down include the "Soundie" that Edwards
          made maybe in the 30s or 40s playing a tuba solo (unique for the time), and
          his interaction with Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Symphony -- at the time
          the Symphony was being formed the Urban League questioned why Toscanini
          didn't audition any other tuba players but selected William Bell. (Not to
          put off on Bill Bell, he was one of the greatest tuba players of our time,
          but.) The furor in the press was such that Toscanini was forced to listen
          to an audition by Bass Edwards. Looking for more information on that as
          well.

          Thank you for your help, I appreciate getting more information.

          Jennifer Paradis