Re: [RedHotJazz] Research project and I could use your help,please!

  • ALAN BOND
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
      Hi Jennifer,
                            There is an entry for Henry 'Bass' Edwards in John Chilton's book 'Who's Who of Jazz' which was originally published in 1972 but which has been revised and amended a few times since. The ISBN is 0-306-80243-0 if you wanted to get a copy or check it out in your local library.
      TTFN - 007

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
        The LORD discography lists 10 separate sessions for Henry 'Bass'
        Edwards -from the Clarence Williams session of January 4th,1926
        through sessions with The Savoy Bearcats and with Lew Leslie and Adelaide
        Hall to the Jungle Town Stompers (Luis Russell)
        in 1929 and lastly sessions with Nobel Sissle-the last in England in 1929.
        Someone with a copy of Lord could help you with the details.

        Roger Strong

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
          He also has an entry in the New grove Dictionary of Jazz, which is based on
          Chilton¹s entry, and may be easier to access. Received wisdom is certainly
          that he became an orchestral musician.

          Chilton notes that he has often been confused with the bass player Sumner
          ŒKing¹ Edwards. I know from my researches into their activities in Europe
          and South America that this confusion occurs in contemporary sources as well
          as in historical sources! (Which is unique in my experience.)

          on 21/08/2012 08:11, ALAN BOND at alan_bond@... wrote:

          > Hi Jennifer,
          >                       There is an entry for Henry 'Bass' Edwards in John
          > Chilton's book 'Who's Who of Jazz' which was originally published in 1972 but
          > which has been revised and amended a few times since. The ISBN is
          > 0-306-80243-0 if you wanted to get a copy or check it out in your local
          > library.
          > TTFN - 007
          >
          > ________________________________

        • JParadisHagar
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
            Yes, I've seen both these entries -- and seen some of the results off the
            internet, where in at least one instance these entries have been garbled
            together and confused with someone else altogether!

            I'm working on this project with the tuba/baritone sax player Howard
            Johnson, who brought me this fascinating story about Bass Edwards;
            apparently Edwards was very well known and respected in his day. A couple
            of the stories we're trying to run down include the "Soundie" that Edwards
            made maybe in the 30s or 40s playing a tuba solo (unique for the time), and
            his interaction with Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Symphony -- at the time
            the Symphony was being formed the Urban League questioned why Toscanini
            didn't audition any other tuba players but selected William Bell. (Not to
            put off on Bill Bell, he was one of the greatest tuba players of our time,
            but.) The furor in the press was such that Toscanini was forced to listen
            to an audition by Bass Edwards. Looking for more information on that as
            well.

            Thank you for your help, I appreciate getting more information.

            Jennifer Paradis