Bass Edwards -

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20 9:07 PM
      Hi Jennifer,

      I'm also a tuba player and have enjoyed the recordings of Bass Edwards - I love the broken-jaw story.

      I suggest you join two groups and ask your questions there -

      Jazz Research

      Duke Ellington

      To JOIN, send an email to majordomo@.... Write only the words subscribe Duke-LYM in the message field. You don't need to write anything in the subject matter field of your email.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy -

      In the Pacific Ocean on
      Protection Island
      #112 Pirates Lane - Nanaimo, BC
      V9R 6R1 CANADA

      http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=112+pirates+lane+nanaimo&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x5488a1155cd4a9a9:0x7894d46bb8ff6677,112+Pirates+Ln,+Nanaimo,+BC+V9R+6R1&gl=ca&ei=dU0yTrahBIPjiALtxP3DCA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

      Phone: 250-667-0238

      On 2012-08-20, at 8:05 PM, tubabassdiva wrote:

      > Hi there, and thank you for reading this.
      >
      > I'm a tuba player and general music nerd from Atlanta ... and I'm doing some research on the tuba/bass player Henry "Bass" Edwards.
      >
      > He was from Atlanta originally and played around here a bit and then hit the road, as so many musicians do.
      >
      > He played with a lot of bands and made quite a few recordings, including with Duke Ellington and Noble Sissle, to name just two.
      >
      > What I'm trying to figure out is what happened in the later years of his life. From what poking around I've been able to do so far it looks like he switched to doing more bass playing than tuba and more wind band and orchestral kinds of things in the greater New York City area before he passed away in 1965.
      >
      > While I probably need to go to NYC and look at some archives and talk to some people I thought before I made traveling plans I'd start by asking people who knew something first ... and so I've come to you.
      >
      > One of the things I'm looking for is apparently he made one of those "Soundies" at some point ... where he plays a tuba solo. I can't find any evidence of that yet but I'm hoping maybe one of you may have seen it or heard of it.
      >
      > Any information to get me further down the path would really be much appreciated, I want to know all about him or as much about him as I can.
      >
      > Thanking you in advance --
      >
      > Jennifer Paradis

    • ALAN BOND
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21 12:11 AM
        Hi Jennifer,
                              There is an entry for Henry 'Bass' Edwards in John Chilton's book 'Who's Who of Jazz' which was originally published in 1972 but which has been revised and amended a few times since. The ISBN is 0-306-80243-0 if you wanted to get a copy or check it out in your local library.
        TTFN - 007

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21 12:26 AM
          The LORD discography lists 10 separate sessions for Henry 'Bass'
          Edwards -from the Clarence Williams session of January 4th,1926
          through sessions with The Savoy Bearcats and with Lew Leslie and Adelaide
          Hall to the Jungle Town Stompers (Luis Russell)
          in 1929 and lastly sessions with Nobel Sissle-the last in England in 1929.
          Someone with a copy of Lord could help you with the details.

          Roger Strong

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21 1:11 AM
            He also has an entry in the New grove Dictionary of Jazz, which is based on
            Chilton¹s entry, and may be easier to access. Received wisdom is certainly
            that he became an orchestral musician.

            Chilton notes that he has often been confused with the bass player Sumner
            ŒKing¹ Edwards. I know from my researches into their activities in Europe
            and South America that this confusion occurs in contemporary sources as well
            as in historical sources! (Which is unique in my experience.)

            on 21/08/2012 08:11, ALAN BOND at alan_bond@... wrote:

            > Hi Jennifer,
            >                       There is an entry for Henry 'Bass' Edwards in John
            > Chilton's book 'Who's Who of Jazz' which was originally published in 1972 but
            > which has been revised and amended a few times since. The ISBN is
            > 0-306-80243-0 if you wanted to get a copy or check it out in your local
            > library.
            > TTFN - 007
            >
            > ________________________________

          • JParadisHagar
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21 5:24 AM
              Yes, I've seen both these entries -- and seen some of the results off the
              internet, where in at least one instance these entries have been garbled
              together and confused with someone else altogether!

              I'm working on this project with the tuba/baritone sax player Howard
              Johnson, who brought me this fascinating story about Bass Edwards;
              apparently Edwards was very well known and respected in his day. A couple
              of the stories we're trying to run down include the "Soundie" that Edwards
              made maybe in the 30s or 40s playing a tuba solo (unique for the time), and
              his interaction with Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Symphony -- at the time
              the Symphony was being formed the Urban League questioned why Toscanini
              didn't audition any other tuba players but selected William Bell. (Not to
              put off on Bill Bell, he was one of the greatest tuba players of our time,
              but.) The furor in the press was such that Toscanini was forced to listen
              to an audition by Bass Edwards. Looking for more information on that as
              well.

              Thank you for your help, I appreciate getting more information.

              Jennifer Paradis