Identifying different takes (was: Wrong take on "I'm Goin' Away..."???)

  • Bob Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2012
      Although jazz should be listened to, I find that the best way to identify different takes, if and when there are fine nuances suspected, is to use the free program 'Audacity' (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).
      I do this by recording the two recordings on the same page of 'Audacity', then adjusting the two recordings to the same length (if necessary) and then comparing the two wavelength pictures. Even very fine nuances are then easy to spot.
      The most time-consuming operation while doing this is fiddling the recording lengths to be identical. It also takes a while to search the entire length if the two wavelength pictures are from the same take, whereas variations on two different takes are usually revealed fairly quickly.

      Cheers

      Bob Smith